Improve/redesign my PVC feeder..

concrete_boots

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
NJ
I built what I thought was a simple pvc feeder that gravity would allow to work flawlessly..but it’s not..
For some reason the food just doesn’t flow without having to shake the pvc pipe around or dig some out, if I’m going to have to play with it every other day it’s not really the “auto” feeding solution I had in mind..
I have 3” pvc pipe outside of the coop..capped at the top goes down 3ft and into a 90 as it goes inside the coop and to a 2ft long run with holes in it as pictured..I thought maybe the 90 was slowing it down or jamming it up, changed to a 45, still no good, raised the hole that it comes inside and lowered the end where it’s capped off to give it more pitch...a little more flow but still needs a push..doesn’t just flow as it’s emptied..
Now I may remove the “trough” area and use a bucket instead maybe with an opening cut into the bottom so pipe feeds the bucket and food accessible at bottom,,.any thoughts or anyone else have issues with a diy pipe feeder similar ?

3620FB03-2B0E-46F9-97E1-EC36122241C1.jpeg
50028D62-FB85-49FE-B6F3-E8645AD561DC.jpeg

The weight of the feed in the vertical pipe has to be enough to push that feed through your horizontal pipes. It seems that your horitizontal pipes are too long for that to happen. I don't use PVC pipes for my feed but the ones I have seen mostly seem to have a very short or no horizontal run on that pipe.

Look at the ones in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pvc-pipe-feeder.1312076/

Yea I guess I just assumed the weight wouldn’t be an issue..also still on starter food not sure if the pellets when they get older will flow easier..also makes sense that horizontal pipe is too long..it looked like a good idea in my head.

Switched to the bucket yesterday...

1452035C-F790-440F-B51A-141ED12209D4.jpeg
BAA657DB-D4F0-4D6C-93F0-A561C931899E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom