Incubating Abandoned clutch ?

Calichicks23

Chirping
Mar 7, 2023
My hen went broody and I was letting her hatch out a clutch. She collected 11 eggs and was doing good. One morning I saw her in the run longer than normal so I watched her. Sure enough she was enjoying the sunshine with no intention of returning.
I quickly popped them in my incubator on 3/7. All 11 eggs from her clutch and an extra that was freshly laid to fill the incubator.
This evening I candled them and they are at various stages. I know that’s normal and not all eggs will hatch the same day. My concern is some are just veining at about 4-5 days and others have full moving chicks already so possibly 12-14 days.
Can they hatch a week apart ?
Can I still remove the egg turner and increase humidity at day 18 ish ??

Anyone have any experience like this ?

My hen went broody and I was letting her hatch out a clutch. She collected 11 eggs and was doing good. One morning I saw her in the run longer than normal so I watched her. Sure enough she was enjoying the sunshine with no intention of returning.
I quickly popped them in my incubator on 3/7. All 11 eggs from her clutch and an extra that was freshly laid to fill the incubator.
This evening I candled them and they are at various stages. I know that’s normal and not all eggs will hatch the same day. My concern is some are just veining at about 4-5 days and others have full moving chicks already so possibly 12-14 days.
Can they hatch a week apart ?
Can I still remove the egg turner and increase humidity at day 18 ish ??

Anyone have any experience like this ?
Yep. Exact same thing. Our hen layed eggs and so some were 15 days old, some 11, some 6. We only had 1 incubator so had no choice but to leave them, and it was a mistake. Most of them shrink wrapped and died. Out of 15 eggs, only 4 made it. 10 were viable.

Is it possible to borrow one from somebody ?
Staggered can be done in one bit better if you have one to move lockdown eggs over
If not then remove turner when it’s lockdown for the oldest batch but yuy could still hand turn until you see an internal pip then stop
When you do open the bator to turn eggs either have a spray bottle yoy can give a few shots in a corner not hitting the eggs but it helps to bring up humidity from having lid open
A better option is keep the bator in a bathroom where there is a shower
You can turn the hot water on let it steam up a few mins then open the bator to turn those eggs
You can even do this after internal until you see external
I haven’t had a baby shrink wrapped yet ( knock on wood ) but I have had to assist and I run the shower method

Yep. Exact same thing. Our hen layed eggs and so some were 15 days old, some 11, some 6. We only had 1 incubator so had no choice but to leave them, and it was a mistake. Most of them shrink wrapped and died. Out of 15 eggs, only 4 made it. 10 were viable.
Thank you for sharing this is what I needed to know. Now to figure out what to do?

Staggered can be done in one bit better if you have one to move lockdown eggs over
If not then remove turner when it’s lockdown for the oldest batch but yuy could still hand turn until you see an internal pip then stop
When you do open the bator to turn eggs either have a spray bottle yoy can give a few shots in a corner not hitting the eggs but it helps to bring up humidity from having lid open
You can turn the hot water on let it steam up a few mins then open the bator to turn those eggs
I haven’t had a baby shrink wrapped yet ( knock on wood ) but I have had to assist and I run the shower method
I don’t know of anyone near me with one. Maybe I will pick up another one just in case this kind of thing happens again. I do have silkies and showgirls that are known to go broody. So I’m not sure how common it is for them to leave the nest. There were 3 eggs that were quitters ( had blood rings in them ) not sure if that is why ?? Just know that I can’t fully trust her to hatch.

Thank you for the ideas. I appreciate all the help I can get

The only comment I'll make about dealing with a staggered hatch is that the eggs don't have to be turned after 14 days of development. That might make your planning easier.

To avoid a staggered hatch in the future don't let the broody hen collect a brood. You can mark a couple of sacrificial eggs or use fake eggs and leave under her to keep her interested in being broody but collect all the eggs you want her to hatch and store them separately. When you are ready to give her eggs to start the incubation, mark the eggs and give them all to her at the same time, removing what is already in her nest. Then every day after the others have laid, check under her and remove any that don't belong. This eliminates all the stress you are going to have dealing with a staggered hatch.

I wish you good luck.

The only comment I'll make about dealing with a staggered hatch is that the eggs don't have to be turned after 14 days of development. That might make your planning easier.

To avoid a staggered hatch in the future don't let the broody hen collect a brood. You can mark a couple of sacrificial eggs or use fake eggs and leave under her to keep her interested in being broody but collect all the eggs you want her to hatch and store them separately. When you are ready to give her eggs to start the incubation, mark the eggs and give them all to her at the same time, removing what is already in her nest. Then every day after the others have laid, check under her and remove any that don't belong. This eliminates all the stress you are going to have dealing with a staggered hatch.

I wish you good luck.
Thank you so much. That will definitely make things easier going forward.

Just wanted to pop back in an give an update for anyone still interested.

I wasn’t able to borrow or find a second hand bator within a few days so I decided to just go for it.
From the initial set date 3/7/23
= a dozen eggs
First egg hatched 3/19/23 ( after 13 days in the incubator ) and last egg hatched 3/28/23 ( after 22 days in incubator)

Out of the dozen abandoned eggs , I have 5 chicks 🐥

All in all not something I would recommend but it is doable if needed. Good luck

F212C966-5718-4B7B-81C8-146AA3CCD81A.jpeg

Two of the five chicks enjoying their mirror 🪞 in the brooder ❤️

Back
Top Bottom