Incubating call and cayuga duck eggs questions

mustangsaguaro

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
San Martin, Ca
So, I got 27 call duck eggs and 12 black cayuga eggs to incubate. I plan on setting tomorrow. I normally incubate chicken eggs. I do know duck eggs take longer and require higher humidity. I got the 15 calls from one breeder and 12 from another. The 15 I got the air cells were very loosey goosey and don't have much confidence in the hatching. The 12 which came from another breeder all those air cells have been in tact. The 15 have been settling since yesterday so it will be over 24hrs from when I got them. I have a broody hen so plan on putting some of the calls from each group under the broody and some in my incubator. Same for the cayugas. I have a big broody Orp hen I am putting maybe 10-12 eggs under. The rest will go in the incubator. I normally use a automatic egg turner for my chicken eggs, but have heard mixed reviews w/ duck eggs, especially calls that hand turning is best. So I plan on hand turning the eggs. My question is though since I have many of the eggs from the one breeder w/ loosey goosey air cells the ones I plan to hand turn should I plan to hand turn right away or should I wait a few days after putting them in the incubator to hand turn them. What would you do.

Also I know many people may incubate at different humidities depending on where you are located. What would you have the humidity at the first 25 days until lockdown. And then what would you up humidity to at lockdown. Normally I do a semi dry hatch for my chicken eggs. I have my humidity set at 38-42% first 18 days. I know this is probably to low for duck eggs. Any advice from you more experienced duck egg hatchers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom