Incubation Confusion - Button Quail

CrankyCatPancake

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2022
Hello!

We are looking to add button quail to our family in the coming weeks. I’m a bit confused about the incubation and hatching timeline. I was hoping someone could clarify.

If I order eggs from eBay today and they arrive next Wednesday (for example), does the incubation time start when they are in transit because they are out of a cooler holding temperature? Or the 17 day count start the day I put them in the actual incubator?

Any insight would be helpful! We are going away on a trip for like two days, and I don’t want to chance the timing being wrong.

It doesn't start until they are in the incubator. They are viable at room temp or slightly below for about a week, sometimes ten days.

It doesn't start until the day after they are in the incubator, since day 2 is actually day 1. Unless the package is coming in through 100 degree weather, both day, it doesn't happen in transit.

The day/night you set the eggs is day zero. Day one doesn't begin until 24 hours later.
EXAMPLE: So if you set the eggs at 8pm on Wensenday, that would be day 0.Thursday at 8pm would be the start of day 1.
If the ambient temps are in the 90's, there is a possibility of the eggs to already have begun incubation. If this is the case, put the eggs immediately upon arrival into the incubator. Let them rest in the incubator with the turner, 'turned off'. If hand turning, then, place them in the incubator and not turn them until day 2.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom