Incubator humidity dropped to 19

Mia1023

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2022
I’m on day 3 of incubating my quails and I woke up today to check the temp and humidity and the temperature was good but the humidity had suddenly dropped to %19 I like to keep it from 40-50 and it had plenty of water last night is there going to be any major harm? It was probably for like 5-10 hours but I just put some pretty warm water in to raise it a bit faster. Is there something I should do to make sure they’re ok?

I’m on day 3 of incubating my quails and I woke up today to check the temp and humidity and the temperature was good but the humidity had suddenly dropped to %19 I like to keep it from 40-50 and it had plenty of water last night is there going to be any major harm? It was probably for like 5-10 hours but I just put some pretty warm water in to raise it a bit faster. Is there something I should do to make sure they’re ok?
I put wet paper towel around the outside,… hope this helps and good luck with them!!! I’m hatching chicks this Monday!!

A temporary drop should not be a big deal, as long as it does not occur when they are actually pipping and hatching.

Several incubator manufacturers recommend weighing the eggs once a week to see if they are losing the right amount of weight, as a way to check humidity. I think that means the hour-to-hour humidity does not matter, as long as the total amount of water lost by each egg is right by hatching time.

edit to add: here is a lot of information about humidity, from one incubator manufacturer:
https://brinsea.com/Manuals/HumidityInIncubationEbook.pdf
A quote: "The important point is to reach the ideal weight loss by hatching day; some
deviation from the ideal weight loss line earlier in incubation will have little adverse effect" (That's from the part that talks about weighing eggs to check humidity levels.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom