Indoor chicken

GingersCause

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2021
Okay so long story short here we go... I live in the triplex run by slumlords, and the neighbor next to me is absolutely horrible, probably any example you could think of of being a bad neighbor he is guilty of. Well his dog's constantly dug holes under the fence and I dug under the fence line and put boards to stop this from happening. They still would try to get through the fence chewing and scratching and digging. I put blinds up on the fence to try and keep them seen us in hopes that they would stop trying to come over. Last year his dogs killed one of my chickens, he denied having anything to do with it even though I could see the fresh dirt from where he jumped over the fence and tried to fill in the hole. A week ago today his dogs broke the fence and attacked only chicken I have left. He hasn't made eye contact with me since and has avoided me at all costs. I've spent $200 on first aid supplies and he can't even fix the fence or apologize and at the time wasn't sure if my chicken was going to make it so it's been really rough. Great news she is doing well living in my bedroom but it has been taxing financially, mentally, and emotionally. I was emotionally exhausted and had little sleep and was ranting on the phone with my dad about calling the sheriff and animal control and the landlord and an attorney. I haven't done any of those things but he must have overheard me and called the landlord to try to get a step ahead. Not sure what he said but I got a text from the property manager asking how many animals I have on the property, I replied three dogs and three hens because I was planning on getting two more. They told me that the dogs are fine but the chickens cannot stay. I explained I only have one I said three because I was planning on getting more and the one I have has never caused any problems and the two years I've had her and that she is actually in a rehab cage at the moment because the neighbors dog can't be contained and breaks the fence and attacked my chicken. I explained I spent $200 and she is in recovery and asked them to please help me make this work. They replied back telling me that my chicken has to be gone by the end of the month. Won't give me a reason why just said the chickens cannot stay. I'm beyond irritated and fed up and really want to move but after looking for places all night last night realizing how hard it will be to get into a new place with the prices of rent these days. Part of me wants to let her be an indoor chicken I know that she would bond with me and my dogs and I've even read that she could be litter trained. Another idea is to put everything in storage and go stay at my dad's and he has a small coop currently not housing any chickens and she could live there and I could get her some chicken friends. Beside myself and overwhelmed not sure if I should cut my losses and rehome her to someone that has backyard chickens free-ranging how she was before all of this happened, if I should keep her indoors and do my best to make it work, or if we should move over to my dad's, where she will be cooped but have chicken friends and I can get away from these horrible people because I clearly have no rights and will not get justice.

What do y'all think?.what would you do?

:hugs That sounds like a tough situation. I hope your girl makes a full recovery.

Is it worth staying and fighting and all the associated stress, or would you be happier staying with your dad? It sure sounds like you'd be safer. :hugs

Your hen isn't going to mind being cooped, and I think it would be easier on her to have two new friends introduced to her rather than being a single bird added to an already established flock (they never really seem to find their place or make friends).

:hugs That sounds like a tough situation. I hope your girl makes a full recovery.

Is it worth staying and fighting and all the associated stress, or would you be happier staying with your dad? It sure sounds like you'd be safer. :hugs

Your hen isn't going to mind being cooped, and I think it would be easier on her to have two new friends introduced to her rather than being a single bird added to an already established flock (they never really seem to find their place or make friends).
Means a lot that someone actually read this and replied. I've been holding a lot in and it's nice to know that someone actually cares in general let alone what's best for me. Still not sure exactly what I'll do going to talk to Dad this weekend literally just getting to the point where my mind is calm enough that I can process thoughts. I'm a strong person and it seems in the years I've been here situations make me feel like a victim and that's not a mentality that I'm going to thrive having. I have a lot to think over but with everyone on this site being so wholesome hearing from you will definitely help me to figure out exactly what I need to do. 💪🙏❤️

Back
Top Bottom