Indoor Serama chicken setup?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
If I want to keep two Serama hens indoors, can I keep them in the cage with a wire bottom, or should I use shavings as the bottom? Does anybody have experience with keeping Seramas indoors?

I wouldn’t keep any chicken indoors as where it lives 24-7 as they get smelly quite fast and they are very messy. My sick hen stayed inside for 1 week in my bathroom and by then the bathroom was rancid smelling from her poop. Even though seramas as bantams it doesn’t mean they don’t need the same amount of space as a normal hen. It is best for the well-being of the chicken live outside.

I kept an indoor rooster. I used face masks as chicken diapers. I currently have a small setup of 4 silkies inside... they go out first thing in the morning then i bring them inside again. Not smelly but I literally clean out the cage everyday or every other day. I use no chemicals but vinegar in a spray bottle to clean.

Wire cage can potentially cause bumble foot. I have a flat bottom with three levels. I use newspaper and then straw as a medium for the bottom of the cage.

I have a serama flock over-wintering in my garage. They are set up in a run that is 8x8 and the bottom is tarp with pine shavings and coffee grounds for substrate. There are 9 birds in there and all I smell is coffee so far. It's been about a month.

Attachments

• 20231031_154659.jpg
    20231031_154659.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231103_164621.jpg
    20231103_164621.jpg
    790.5 KB · Views: 48
I have a serama flock over-wintering in my garage. They are set up in a run that is 8x8 and the bottom is tarp with pine shavings and coffee grounds for substrate. There are 9 birds in there and all I smell is coffee so far. It's been about a month.
I love the ladder… *chuckle*
Do they get sunlight? (AfaIk, they need that for the production of vit D.)

Back
Top Bottom