Inflammation

Spencer5

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2023
One of my hens has pretty severe inflammation from the top of her chest, down to her vent. This has happened with us another time a few years ago with a different hen. I researched and researched. We checked everything and everybody over for bugs. Tried different things to rub on, etc. it’s got to be painful. The last hen lived with it, acted normal and laid eggs. This time we’ve had our hen in a pen inside. Weve tried Vetericyn, herbal salve, & aloe. She started to look better, but yesterday things have changed. Some of the skin is now peeling and a little different color and some of it is still quite red. Maybe this is good…I’m just not sure of anything else I can do. I’m hoping someone else has experienced this and can help me figure out what’s going on.

Attachments

• E0714E54-B976-4162-BFDA-3A75D178F5D0.jpeg
    E0714E54-B976-4162-BFDA-3A75D178F5D0.jpeg
    745.3 KB · Views: 13
  • B41B2AB5-97BD-4258-899D-270B3AB5C6C9.jpeg
    B41B2AB5-97BD-4258-899D-270B3AB5C6C9.jpeg
    668.6 KB · Views: 4
First photo doesn't look too bad, but the second looks like something is irritating her for sure.
I'd stop the salves and lotions.

Some hens are bare underneath, looks more like the feathers have just been worn or preened off.

Does this bird roost? Or does she sleep in bedding on the floor? How old is she? Check her legs and feet for any issues, injuries, bumblefoot etc. What kind/size of roosts do you have? Is other behavior normal, walking, eating, drinking, etc?

First photo doesn't look too bad, but the second looks like something is irritating her for sure.
I'd stop the salves and lotions.

Some hens are bare underneath, looks more like the feathers have just been worn or preened off.
When we turn her over to check her or work on her the redness gets much darker almost immediately. Also, night before last parts of her skin were really peeling. By tonight it looks much better already with considerably less redness in most areas. No salve tonight :)

Does this bird roost? Or does she sleep in bedding on the floor? How old is she? Check her legs and feet for any issues, injuries, bumblefoot etc. What kind/size of roosts do you have? Is other behavior normal, walking, eating, drinking, etc?
She roosts and she is about 1 1/2 years old. When we brought her in to work on this and had her turned over I noticed what looked like bumblefoot on one foot. There wasn't any sign of it except the typical brown spot. We have been soaking and working on that as well but really there doesn't seem to be any infection. I have decided to stop messing with it and keep an eye on it. Currently I have PRID on it and it has been cleaned and wrapped daily but will stop wrapping in a day or so when I'm sure there is no open area. Her behavior seems to be normal and she has even been laying inside in the pen she is in :)

I think I'd eliminate the salves right now and see if it heals back up.

Not all scabs/bumblefoot need to be treated. Sometimes if minor, they may close back up on their own, but it's always a good idea to keep watch on something like that.

She roosts and she is about 1 1/2 years old. When we brought her in to work on this and had her turned over I noticed what looked like bumblefoot on one foot. There wasn't any sign of it except the typical brown spot. We have been soaking and working on that as well but really there doesn't seem to be any infection. I have decided to stop messing with it and keep an eye on it. Currently I have PRID on it and it has been cleaned and wrapped daily but will stop wrapping in a day or so when I'm sure there is no open area. Her behavior seems to be normal and she has even been laying inside in the pen she is in :)

I think I'd eliminate the salves right now and see if it heals back up.

Not all scabs/bumblefoot need to be treated. Sometimes if minor, they may close back up on their own, but it's always a good idea to keep watch on something like that.
Thank you.

I'm curious why you asked me if she had bumblefoot. Did you think the inflammation and bumblefoot may be related? Like a stress reaction?

Sometimes with bumblefoot, they will favor that foot and not roost correctly. They will rest their keel/breast bone on the roost which causes rubbing and irritation and can lead to breast blisters. So trying to determine if that is a factor. Sometimes heavy birds will also rest like that, just because they are heavy, and the same kind of thing results. Birds that don't roost for some reason and lay in bedding also can have the same problems, from the pressure on the keel, or from damp or dirty bedding. If that is the issue then padding the roost can help, or alleviating the bumblefoot so the foot isn't sore and they can roost properly. If you pad a roost make sure it's something they can pick pieces off of and eat. An old bath towel can work.

Back
Top Bottom