Inflammation?

Ayi

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2022
After 6 years of ducks, this spring we have something very strange going on. A runner started limping and I noticed her foot pads were swollen and warm to the touch. Upon inspection, they seem hard on the bigger swollen areas and soft and pink where it's slightly swollen. Now, 2 days later, we notice multiple ducks have this swelling on both feet with no obvious cut, scab, thorn, or bumble spot. We have had 1 case of bumble in 6 years with a very large jumbo pekin. They have a clean scrubbed pool every day. 2 kinds of feed (organic chicken egg layer with added niacin and duck and goose with added calcium as we have 2 geese) plus sea kelp, garlic brewers yeast, poultry booster, and organic oregano. Small amount of apple cider vinegar in the pools and electrolytes in the water. We wash all bowls and buckets every day. It's been very muddy and they take walks in the woods, but 3 different flocks have for 6 years. Could this be from their pen? We added a load of washed river sand? last year and they did very well. Pine shavings are dry and changed every week, with fresh sprinkled on top daily. Are we overdoing a supplement? I'm so confused. We started a natural prevention wormer 3 days ago, just sprinkling one scoop over pea treats. Our 26 duck and geese girl babies are totally spoiled pets and my 5 boys are very concerned. Any help appreciated! I don't know what to do besides epsom soaking at this point. The only difference in 6 years would be 2 female geese added to the flock last summer.

Attachments

• 20240306_123515.jpg
    20240306_123515.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
oh wow that is strange
the only thing i noticed is you said electrolytes in water but i hope not every day
electrolytes shouldn’t be given so often , only when under stress or illness and even then only for a few days then stop. i will tag
@Miss Lydia she may be familiar with this condition though i’ve never seen it .

oh wow that is strange
the only thing i noticed is you said electrolytes in water but i hope not every day
electrolytes shouldn’t be given so often , only when under stress or illness and even then only for a few days then stop. i will tag
@Miss Lydia she may be familiar with this condition though i’ve never seen it .
We do give a small pinch every day! Will definitely cut back to hot days if it's not good to do daily.

Thank you, I will stop adding asap!
Note if one needs electrolytes you may need to give them their own individual bowl with electrolytes in it and feed it to them individually whether that be in a separate coop/area or right then and there, Even if you add a small pinch, Electrolytes should be used as a type of medicine for ill ducks, and not used in their diet daily.

Note if one needs electrolytes you may need to give them their own individual bowl with electrolytes in it and feed it to them individually whether that be in a separate coop/area or right then and there, Even if you add a small pinch, Electrolytes should be used as a type of medicine for ill ducks, and not used in their diet daily.
Thank you for the advice. I didn't realize it would be unhealthy to use every day, we have for 6 years 😳 I do tend to worry to the point of probably overdosing them with such things. We will keep it for stressed/sick ducks in the future instead of dosing all of them every day. I really appreciate the advice. We finally found a vet who accepted ducks and geese and they were absolutely no help, googling everything just like I do...so I'm very grateful for any advice.

I am stumped I wonder if it's something they are walking on? can't imagine why it would be happening to multiple ducks.
Thank you, it's so strange. I will check their run area carefully to see if I can find anything that they might be stepping on 😭

It just doesn't make sense there is more than one maybe something in their environment Like stinging nettles. Nothing new has been added lately?

Back
Top Bottom