Inheriting ham radio

Ninjasquirrel

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
This is extremely off topic which is why I'm posing this question in Random Ramblings...but does anyone here do amateur radio? My SO got into it and got the basic license but his father (a big time hammer) is pushing him to get the bigger license. Sorry to the other ham people...I just dont know the terminology never being all that interested in it myself. Anyways he wants him to "inherit" his call sign...but my SO doesn't really want it. He sees his own sign as a badge of honor...something he earned. Are there any benefits to inheriting a call sign? I almost see it as this is his father's hobby and he's passing it on to his progeny as a thing of honor. I encouraged him to talk to his father to see why it is so important to him...but you know how men are :idunno

This is extremely off topic which is why I'm posing this question in Random Ramblings...but does anyone here do amateur radio? My SO got into it and got the basic license but his father (a big time hammer) is pushing him to get the bigger license. Sorry to the other ham people...I just dont know the terminology never being all that interested in it myself. Anyways he wants him to "inherit" his call sign...but my SO doesn't really want it. He sees his own sign as a badge of honor...something he earned. Are there any benefits to inheriting a call sign? I almost see it as this is his father's hobby and he's passing it on to his progeny as a thing of honor. I encouraged him to talk to his father to see why it is so important to him...but you know how men are :idunno

I think this is a great question, many " Chicken" people are farmers or live in rural areas. Maybe this is something some of them participate in. Although I am not totally rural, I too, have been considering getting my Ham license, and recently purchased the study materials to do so, so I am glad you posted. I think in today's world it may be a good idea for honest folks who are interested in being helpful during times of trouble to consider ways that they can do so. I also think that although your son does not want to take his fathers call sign he may, (as you said) consider why his father wants him to get a more learning and license capabilities. The terms are Technician, General, and Amateur Extra. There are some very good reasons to further the learning, perhaps your husband has a intuition of what is to come in this world and wants your son to have the skills to be prepared. I have been somewhat surprised at my interest in getting a Ham license, but since the urge will not go away ( and I keep running into the topic as I have done today with your post) - perhaps I should take the hint that providence is pushing me towards and get back to studying that book! Good luck. Let me know what comes of it.

I think this is a great question, many " Chicken" people are farmers or live in rural areas. Maybe this is something some of them participate in. Although I am not totally rural, I too, have been considering getting my Ham license, and recently purchased the study materials to do so, so I am glad you posted. I think in today's world it may be a good idea for honest folks who are interested in being helpful during times of trouble to consider ways that they can do so. I also think that although your son does not want to take his fathers call sign he may, (as you said) consider why his father wants him to get a more learning and license capabilities. The terms are Technician, General, and Amateur Extra. There are some very good reasons to further the learning, perhaps your husband has a intuition of what is to come in this world and wants your son to have the skills to be prepared. I have been somewhat surprised at my interest in getting a Ham license, but since the urge will not go away ( and I keep running into the topic as I have done today with your post) - perhaps I should take the hint that providence is pushing me towards and get back to studying that book! Good luck. Let me know what comes of it.
I think you misread actually. It is my Significant Other that is being pushed by his father (which would technically be my father-in-law) to continue on his education in Ham radio. His father specifically said to him: " you better get on it so you can get my call sign".

The only benefit I could see to having a "vanity" call sign is that his father's call sign is shorter so it would be easier to enter in morse code. On top of that my Significant Other (SO) doesn't really want his father's call sign.

Thats why I was asking if anyone knew of any benefits to inheriting a call sign from a family member. My SO rarely does the ham radio stuff. We are too busy on the homestead for that kinda hobby. He enjoys it but mostly in the evenings.

As for you, it's apparently not that difficult to get the license. Just make sure you study because you have to pay to take the test. At least you did 5 years ago. It might be free online now for all I know. But 5 years ago it was an hour long written test and about 30 bucks at the library. I think if you passed the amateur it was a smaller fee to go ahead and take the second test but he failed to pass it.

I am an Amateur Radio Operator. More than likely he is very insistent because when his father becomes a SK, or silent key as we call HAMS that have passed on, there is a very good chance that his fathers call sign could be taken by another HAM. Once it is inactive and expires it goes back into the pool of available call signs. I recently changed call signs, and got one that belonged to someone else years ago. They let it expire, and it was available according to the FCC. Sounds like his father is very proud of his call, and really wants to pass it on to his son.

I am an Amateur Radio Operator. More than likely he is very insistent because when his father becomes a SK, or silent key as we call HAMS that have passed on, there is a very good chance that his fathers call sign could be taken by another HAM. Once it is inactive and expires it goes back into the pool of available call signs. I recently changed call signs, and got one that belonged to someone else years ago. They let it expire, and it was available according to the FCC. Sounds like his father is very proud of his call, and really wants to pass it on to his son.
Oh ok. I thought once it expired it was no longer available anymore. I know you can request certain SKs from family members but I didnt know that it could be available to anybody. I wonder if also his current sign could also be related to his reputation. I know he talks to people all over and he takes HAM very seriously. He brags about having talked to people in australia and asia all the time. Perhaps this is his way of putting his affairs in order

Back
Top Bottom