Injured Chicken

DuckDuckPromise

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 4, 2021
I found this poor girl laying in her nesting box, and before inspection, I thought maybe she was just a favorite of the rooster, but when I went to put an apron on her, I seen that it was much worse than I realized… here are some pictures to let y’all see what you think, and what I should do. Praise the Lord, I didn’t see any sign of a predator attack, and none of the other chickens seemed affected. But she looks like she has a hunk taken out of her side! She can walk and fly (she showed me when I tried to get her out to isolate her…)
But anyways, I got her out, rinsed it with water, sprayed wound spray on her, and isolated her. Tips? Thoughts? Do you know what could have caused it? Next steps? She is about 1 year and a few months old… such a sweet girl! Easter egger to my knowledge, not that that makes a difference, but just trying to give any information! There are more roosters than I want in the pen with her, but there’s about 12-13 girls with 3 roosters. I’m in the process of trying to get rid of them to a good home, but I haven’t been able to yet. I already have roosters in other pens, so I can’t separate anymore than I already have. But it’s a good possibility I have a place lined up for them to go either today or tomorrow. But I digress.
Any suggestions?!?!
Yes I realize the vet is probably the first response, but it is after hours here, and can’t get her there right now. What can I do in the meantime?

Attachments

• IMG_8520.jpeg
    IMG_8520.jpeg
    718.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8522.jpeg
    IMG_8522.jpeg
    647.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8521.jpeg
    IMG_8521.jpeg
    777.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8523.jpeg
    IMG_8523.jpeg
    631.7 KB · Views: 6
Oh my that looks pretty bad. Has she been with just other chickens and the roosters, or with any drakes? I will assume the roosters did this to her. Vent pecking can lead to cannibalism when they see red blood. Can you locate the vent? Has she been in shock? Will she take some fluids such as sugar water or electrolytes? Has she eaten anything? Moistened chicken feed and cooked egg would be good. A daily warm soak to her vent in shallow water with Epsom salts or a little Hibiclens or Betadine could help with disinfection and healing. Apply some antibiotic ointment to the wounds until they heal. Keep it from drying out. I hope the poor thing heals, but it will take some time. She will need to be kept separated in a wire dog crate and in that she could be kept with her flock eventually when she is out of danger. They usually feel better around other flock members.

Oh my that looks pretty bad. Has she been with just other chickens and the roosters, or with any drakes? I will assume the roosters did this to her. Vent pecking can lead to cannibalism when they see red blood. Can you locate the vent? Has she been in shock? Will she take some fluids such as sugar water or electrolytes? Has she eaten anything? Moistened chicken feed and cooked egg would be good. A daily warm soak to her vent in shallow water with Epsom salts or a little Hibiclens or Betadine could help with disinfection and healing. Apply some antibiotic ointment to the wounds until they heal. Keep it from drying out. I hope the poor thing heals, but it will take some time. She will need to be kept separated in a wire dog crate and in that she could be kept with her flock eventually when she is out of danger. They usually feel better around other flock members.
Oh my word, thank you so much for the information!!! I will try to do all of those things, and most importantly, shower her with prayers!! That’s a good idea, I had her totally isolated, so I will try to get her back into the pen with the others, yet still separated!
Her vent, to my knowledge, is lower than where this is, but my bad pictures do a poor job at showing that. I will double check though to make sure I am telling you correctly!!
Do you know what would or could cause them to attack her like that?

You can keep her inside tonight and for a day or two where you can observe her well. If they are young cockerels they can be aggressive with low pecking order hens. One of my hens who was half blind and who never wanted to be mated was scalped and nearly killed by a young cockerel. We culled him that day. I stopped breeding chickens after that because I always ended up with too many cockerels, and they were hard to rehome.

Back
Top Bottom