Injured day old chick :(

Hey guys! A bit of an update!

I got her legs splinted yesterday am. She's able to sit up now, and she's chirping away, so a little progress! She does struggle to move, but I'm home most of the day so I've moved her to a small box so she has a bit of room to try and move šŸ¤ž

I do struggle to get her to drink or eat. She's got some crumble in her box, but I've yet to see her eat. When I try to give her water from a dropper, the majority of the time she struggles and seems like she doesn't know how to swallow...I hope she's getting some liquid into her!

She did poop in the little cup she was in last night, but it looks like dry blood....I don't think I've ever seen that in any of my hens before...so not sure what that means.

I still have hope, and will keep monitoring her through the day!

Wish me luck! Cheers,

Try to maybe give her some egg yolk from the dropper. That'll give her some good nutrients. Also, if she's only a couple days old, they don't always start eating until day two or three. Yogurt is also good.

I'm not sure about her poop, though. šŸ˜¬

Good call on the yolk, @bristolsouth !

Sadly, one of the other one leghorns had passed away. Everyone was active and chipper all day yesterday...so I'm assuming she may have been trampled or suffocated through the night when they were all piling up on each other :(

Try to maybe give her some egg yolk from the dropper. That'll give her some good nutrients. Also, if she's only a couple days old, they don't always start eating until day two or three. Yogurt is also good.

I'm not sure about her poop, though. šŸ˜¬
X2 here. We always make sure we show them the food and water, without aspirating them in the water.

I never give the first poop too much weight in trying to diagnose something. It can be black, or all kinds of strange things.

Good call on the yolk, @bristolsouth !

Sadly, one of the other one leghorns had passed away. Everyone was active and chipper all day yesterday...so I'm assuming she may have been trampled or suffocated through the night when they were all piling up on each other :(
I've never had chicks shipped, but I buy chicks from our local feed store and hers usually have only been in for a few hours before they're bought up, so it's a rush for people to buy theirs. Because of that, I sometimes end up with one that doesn't recover from shipping. I've had some that are normal for a while and then drop unexpectedly. I've only had that with the ones that have just arrived from shipping. My guess is that it was just from the shock of shipping.

I'm sorry that you lost one! :hugs

I've never had chicks shipped, but I buy chicks from our local feed store and hers usually have only been in for a few hours before they're bought up, so it's a rush for people to buy theirs. Because of that, I sometimes end up with one that doesn't recover from shipping. I've had some that are normal for a while and then drop unexpectedly. I've only had that with the ones that have just arrived from shipping. My guess is that it was just from the shock of shipping.

I'm sorry that you lost one! :hugs
These were also from my local feed store - that being said, they were delivered there in the am by a local farm/hatchery...so some form of transportation, but not necessarily "shipped".

These were also from my local feed store - that being said, they were delivered there in the am by a local farm/hatchery...so some form of transportation, but not necessarily "shipped".
Oh, okay. I'm sorry that happened, though. It's rough losing them! šŸ˜¢

I've only ever hatched my own eggs, and have never had any die after hatching. It's a whole new territory, that's for sure!

Well, she was dead when I got home today. Poor thing. I did my best for her!

Thank you all, for the excellent advice!

Back
Top Bottom