Injured goose

OneCuteShasta

Songster
13 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Tropical oHIo
I went to a livestock auction yesterday. There was a goose that was injured and nobody was bidding on it. I felt sorry for it (and what might happen to it if not sold) and I bought it for a dollar. I got it home and let it loose in the yard. I believe it's "knees" (for lack of a better word) are broken. Below is a link to some pictures of the goose. It's drinking although I haven't seen it eat. It pulls itself around with it's wings while it's legs are dragging behind. I think these may be old injuries, but I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to be in pain, which is why I believe the injuries are old. My husband thinks I'm crazy. I thought that if it survives the next few days, he could make it a wheelchair. You know, like the type they make for disabled dogs. It can move it's legs at the "hips" so I thought that if we could get it up without bearing weight on the knees, it could use it's "toes" to maneuver the wheelchair. Am I crazy? Should we just "put it out of it's misery"?

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w173/T8ay/injured goose/

I think its great that you did this theres nothing like saving an animal that is in need. hopefully he finds a way to get around and live life.

I'm glad there are people out there like you, thank you for rescuing it. I recently rescued a day old chick that was put in with some older chicks at a feedstore, and incidentally was being pecked to death. When I mentioned that to the guy working there, he just shrugged his shoulders, which left me no choice. Luckily, I ran into a woman who had a teen who was willing to raise it. I think if your husband is handy enough to build a wheelchair and the goose seems content (eventually, after settling in) that is a great idea. Do you have other waterfowl? If not, I think getting a duckling or gosling for companionship would be a good idea as it may be lonely otherwise, unless it ends up befriending any other animals you may have. I'd think an unfamiliar adult bird, rather than a young one might become aggressive towards it, as the latter would regard the goose as its parent. Good luck; hope everything turns out well.

I find it amazing how animals can adapt to things. 3 legged dogs, geese who move around using their wings. It was a very compassionate thing you did--wish there were more out there like you!

I answered you here
http://p072.ezboard.com/fbackyardchickensfrm4.showMessage?topicID=4856.topic
smile.png

The goose is eating tonight! I put it in the water to see if it could wade and what it would do. It tried to straighten it's legs (the one leg was almost in the correct position) and it waded well for a few minutes. I held it in there for a little while so it could bathe and get a cool drink of water, then I pulled it out. I sat it on the ground a put a huge pile of food in front of it, and boy did that goose tear the food up! I have it in with a few runner ducklings. They don't seem to mind him/her.

I say as long as it is eating and drinking and dosen't seem to be in pain. GO FOR IT. As long as its quality of life is good. Don't let anyone tell you your crazy either. A lot of people just don't get it. Well too bad for them. You have done a very kind thing. Please let us know how it goes.

UPDATE: It's been a very sad night. We came home and found "Goosers" dying. S/he was doing so well the past week. S/he had moved the right leg into the correct position, and was getting around much better. I'm not sure what happened. S/he was eating and drinking fine last night.
hit.gif

Awwwwww, im so sorry. At least you tried. Maybe it ate too much, and couldn't bear the weight on its stomach. Maybe a sling would help? Just to get the weight off of its chest. Sounds like the "water therapy" was a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom