injured hens

Jangela

Chirping
Jan 17, 2023
Hi everyone I recently got 14 more hens on Saturday from an auction and I just realized that 2 of them have bumblefoot and 1 of them has a bruised up wing. is there anything I can do for them?

I think that as long as the wing does not seem broken or deformed and it is not bothering her a ton then she might just need some time to heal but I will stay close by to learn from any expert opinions! I hope they get well soon!

I think that as long as the wing does not seem broken or deformed and it is not bothering her a ton then she might just need some time to heal but I will stay close by to learn from any expert opinions! I hope they get well soon!
ok thankyou. I am not sure if it's fractured or broken because i don't have the money to go to a vet and she won't even let me hold it to look at it.

Are they (14) quarantined from your flock, or are they the start of your flock?

How bad is the bumble foot? Just scabs or is the foot/leg red/hot to touch? Personally I just leave it alone UNLESS it's bothering them.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/bumblefoot-treatment.72887/

You may need to get help to examine the wing ... Take some pictures so can try to see what's going on.

Are they (14) quarantined from your flock, or are they the start of your flock?

How bad is the bumble foot? Just scabs or is the foot/leg red/hot to touch? Personally I just leave it alone UNLESS it's bothering them.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/bumblefoot-treatment.72887/

You may need to get help to examine the wing ... Take some pictures so can try to see what's going on.
it's just scabs and really swollen I will try to take pictures tomorrow.

it's just scabs and really swollen I will try to take pictures tomorrow.
IMG-1904.jpg
IMG-1903.jpg

Do you have photos of the rest of the hens?
The feet too?

For the bruised and skinned wing, I'd spray it with Chlorhexidine daily. Monitor it to see that the skin is healing.

What breed are these supposed to be and how old?

Do you have photos of the rest of the hens?
The feet too?

For the bruised and skinned wing, I'd spray it with Chlorhexidine daily. Monitor it to see that the skin is healing.

What breed are these supposed to be and how old?
they are meat birds boiler cornish hens she is my most injured hen and the only one the rest are fine and healing I am not sure how old is she but looks like she is 6/7 months old. she is not getting any better she is getting worse each day she can't stand up or balance now she is losing the will to eat and drink water and when she lays down she doesn't lie down normally her legs split open. she seems to have a broken wing because it hurts to grab it and it does feel bumpy and doesn't feel normal. I am not sure what to do with her anymore I really don't want to butcher her and neither don't I want her to suffer.

I'm sorry she's not getting better.

With her being a broiler, then she may not have the stamina to heal and go on. Unfortunately these birds are not bred to be long lived, so she may be failing in other aspects as well.

Back
Top Bottom