Injured hock joint on my 5 week Brahma chick

ChickenNewbie22

In the Brooder
May 25, 2023
We are starting to free range our chicks we installed portable fencing in part of our yard to keep them contained to a specific area, but our pyranese dog broke into it and even though she just wants to play with the chicks, by chasing them we think she might of stepped on one of our brahmas. After getting the dog out we noticed one of the chicks limping and not wanting to walk, brought her insume to check her out, cleaned and sprayed injured foot with an antibiotic but didn’t find any cuts or visible injury. This happened yesterday evening, I did separate her and have her in the house in a small plastic dog carrier, I put paper towel lining on the bottom and placed some food and water in there with her. She has been eating and drinking…and pooping normally. This morning I took her out to change lining in cage and see if she would be more willing to walk, but although she can move the toes and hock joint she still refuses to try and put any weight on that injured foot, I do now see a thin light line of bruising that runs from bottom of foot up until the hock joint, does not appear to be swollen, but when I was lightly touching foot, working my way up it’s leg, it did make little chirping noise When I reached the hock joint which leave me to believe that is where most of the injury was sustained. My question is do I need to splinter the leg, and how?…or do I just give it a couple days for the chick to be off it’s feet and she should be fine. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

If you can't feel anything broken, then it may just be sprained. I wouldn't splint unless you are very sure there is a fracture. If the chick will tolerate it then you can do daily soaks in warm epsom salts (make sure it's thoroughly dry after), and you can try a chicken sling/chick chair for periods to take the weight off and let it rest, you do need to supervise so it doesn't hurt itself trying to get out. A link and some examples below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b--broken-leg-recovery.jpg

5d900e5646be3ce5eb1e6f1645a6ed14.jpg

e0342c9d342cb3f8f72cf353724e56d4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom