Injured Leg

Megaletta

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2020
My lavender Orpington appears to have a hurt leg. I noticed her holding up her foot today and limping when she walks. It feels swollen at what I think is a joint - right where the feathers start on her leg. It also felt somewhat warm to the touch. She is 6 months old and I have three chickens in our coop.

Does anyone have any advice for what to do? How to treat? Or what to be on the look out for?

Thanks!

We recently had a Duck who became lame. It has been about 6 weeks and she walks with a slight limp.
We ended up giving antibiotics and an anti inflammatory after determining that nothing was broken. We don‘t know if she had an infection or a strained leg. It‘s hard to tell but we covered all the bases.
I brought her inside so she wasn’t picked on and she wouldn’t slip on the ice. She is a duck so I put her in a warm bath to increase circulation and to give her support. She floated an hour to 3 hours a day in our bathtub. After two weeks she was back outside with a limp.
If you call a vet they may be willing to do a Telemed appt.
if not, your hen may heal on her own. She may need her own space so she can heal on her own but see the other chickens.It can take 6-8 weeks.

Last edited:
Did you check the bottom of her foot for bumblefoot?
Yes please check for bumble foot. Any heat or swelling can indicate an infection. Ducks can get infections in their legs and joints from bumble foot or a small cut.
I don‘t like to use antibiotics unnecessarily, but if the leg isn‘t broken it is a good idea, just in case.
Your vet may even prescribe it iver the phone, along with ideas about treatment shoulf it be a sprain or tear.

Back
Top Bottom