Injured quail, lots of dried blood, disoriented

Celeste Cannon

Songster
5 Years
Jan 15, 2018
Los Angeles, California
As I was working I noticed a hawk stalking the quail coop and at one point going down. I wasn’t concerned because my quails live in a very secure coop, I’ll attach a picture. I scared the hawk away but I wasn’t able to carefully check my quails. I just went to check on my them though, and I noticed everyone but one was in the nesting box area. When I go to check on the lonely one, she doesn’t run away like she usually does. And then noticed her side is covered in dried blood. So are her legs and her other side. But I can’t find any open wounds, the dried feathers are hard the get around. I took her inside and she’s currently stumbling and occasionally running. She seems very disoriented, constantly shaking her head and looking around. Did the hawk get her? Did she do this to herself?

Should I:
Put her in a crate with a blanket over it? The darkness might relax her but I also don’t want her to hurt herself in a small space.

Give her a bath? She is trying to get the blood out but it’s too hard. Or will that stress her too much.

I don’t know how I can further prevent from hawks, I basically have the thinnest wire there is and it’s in a pretty hidden place with a safe room.

UPDATE:
Looks like the other quail got a little freaked out, but nothing serious. I’m going to leave them in the coop since they seem like they'll heal up in a couple days. I also forgot to attach the pictures of the coop, I saw the hawk where the red arrow is.

Attachments

• 9F804260-AB33-4224-96A0-086C373F198F.jpeg
    9F804260-AB33-4224-96A0-086C373F198F.jpeg
    962.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 60F84D01-37AE-4C30-AFF4-4F3CB6E696AA.jpeg
    60F84D01-37AE-4C30-AFF4-4F3CB6E696AA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1445.jpg
    IMG_1445.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1446.jpg
    IMG_1446.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1447.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg
    928.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    303.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1449.JPG
    IMG_1449.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1450.JPG
    IMG_1450.JPG
    489.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1451.JPG
    IMG_1451.JPG
    404.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Hopefully she gets better soon!

I think a hawk tried to get her, but luckily the hawk failed.

Personally, I would give her a bath- but modified. Take a warm washcloth or paper towel and run it under warm water. Try to get the blood off. If you have blood stop powder, apply that, although in the future, get vetericyn- it works good on small wounds.

As I was working I noticed a hawk stalking the quail coop and at one point going down. I wasn’t concerned because my quails live in a very secure coop, I’ll attach a picture. I scared the hawk away but I wasn’t able to carefully check my quails. I just went to check on my them though, and I noticed everyone but one was in the nesting box area. When I go to check on the lonely one, she doesn’t run away like she usually does. And then noticed her side is covered in dried blood. So are her legs and her other side. But I can’t find any open wounds, the dried feathers are hard the get around. I took her inside and she’s currently stumbling and occasionally running. She seems very disoriented, constantly shaking her head and looking around. Did the hawk get her? Did she do this to herself?

Should I:
Put her in a crate with a blanket over it? The darkness might relax her but I also don’t want her to hurt herself in a small space.

Give her a bath? She is trying to get the blood out but it’s too hard. Or will that stress her too much.

I don’t know how I can further prevent from hawks, I basically have the thinnest wire there is and it’s in a pretty hidden place with a safe room.

UPDATE:
Looks like the other quail got a little freaked out, but nothing serious. I’m going to leave them in the coop since they seem like they'll heal up in a couple days. I also forgot to attach the pictures of the coop, I saw the hawk where the red arrow is.
How is she doing?

Back
Top Bottom