Injured Runner Duck HELP!

MTrudelle

In the Brooder
May 16, 2022
One of my beautiful female runner ducks has been taken advantage of by one of my Turkey Toms and has injured her seriously šŸ˜¢

Our Turkey hens are currently with their poults that just hatched and the males where clearly looking for an outlet. Very distressingly one has tried to mate with my runner duck. I found her laying down with a bunch of her back feathers scratched off and the skin underneath quite raw. I tried to assist her in standing, and she cannot stand. Upon closer inspection, her legs seem fine. My concern is that under the weight of the turkey she has sustained an injury to her back or pelvis area. Her breathing is steady and she is eating and drinking. I have cleaned her wound and have isolated her in a crate.

I have never experienced something like this with my birds and Iā€™m wondering if anyone can give me feedback on how to help her heal or any way I can narrow down what part of her is actually injured. All advice is welcome!

Thank you!

One of my beautiful female runner ducks has been taken advantage of by one of my Turkey Toms and has injured her seriously šŸ˜¢

Our Turkey hens are currently with their poults that just hatched and the males where clearly looking for an outlet. Very distressingly one has tried to mate with my runner duck. I found her laying down with a bunch of her back feathers scratched off and the skin underneath quite raw. I tried to assist her in standing, and she cannot stand. Upon closer inspection, her legs seem fine. My concern is that under the weight of the turkey she has sustained an injury to her back or pelvis area. Her breathing is steady and she is eating and drinking. I have cleaned her wound and have isolated her in a crate.

I have never experienced something like this with my birds and Iā€™m wondering if anyone can give me feedback on how to help her heal or any way I can narrow down what part of her is actually injured. All advice is welcome!

Thank you!
Hi @MTrudelle,
Welcome to BYC! For now I would separate her from the rest and mister turkey from your other ducks ;) .
Poor Lady Runner... Hopefully it's a temporary paralysis (from shock?).
@Miss Lydia do you have any advise to share?

Hopefully a few days of rest and TLC will be all it takes to get her back on her feet. Iā€™d def keep the Toms away from the ducks. Keep your injured duck inside away from flies while she is healing. Some vitamins should help boost her too. If her wounds arenā€™t deep you could try her in a nice warm bath for for therapy for her legs,keep her muscles working while sheā€™s recovering. And please keep us updated on how she is doing. If you want to post pictures of her and her wounds that would be fine too.
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom