installing a window

Anny

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Detroit Michigan
I've never built anything before. And I am ever so slowly building the chicken coop.

Well I got a cute little window from the Restore, and I want to install it to one of the wall.

My coop is inside of my garage, and I want the window to be on one of the exterior walls. So I will have to cut a hole in my garage. (check out my coop page if you are confused about the set up)

But aside from that how does one frame a window or what ever to put it in a wall?? I have no idea, any pictures, tips, links, anything would be very helpful!

Is the glass in a frame or no? If not then make the hole about 3 inches smaller than the glass.. silicone the glass ( all the way around ) to one side.. then take wood and make a " frame " around the glass..using silicone again. and put the silicone in the crease between the frame and the wall to make it airtight.

If it IS framed..When you cut the hole out.. you will want to make it 1 1/2 inch ( square ) bigger than window/frame.. then you will want to take 2x4s to box in a support to hold the window. If you have a 20inch square window you will want to cut a whole 21 1/2 inches sqaure.. and make the box with 2x4s so the inside area would be 20 inches square.. then inside the window, and screw to the studs and put silicone / liquid nail where the frame meets the 2x4s

hope this helps

The glass is in a frames. It's a double hung window that's about 1 foot by 2 feet with a screen and everything.

Thank you I think you helped me haha we'll see when I actually go out and try to do it.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom