Insulating for the winter?

shodack

Songster
Mar 19, 2015
central NY
I live in upstate New York, aka freezing temps for 4 months plus.
Should I be planning to add a layer of insulation to the coop for the winter? Will foam boards work, since that would be the simplest solution? I'm using deep litter in the coop, which will help somewhat, I would assume.
Thoughts, suggestions for good reading material? Thanks!

You will have to cover foam boards, or your chickens will eat them. Adding a heat source to a chicken coop can cause a fire.

Proper/sufficient ventilation is very important; it helps prevent frost bite and respiratory infections.

Enola, any suggestions?
I'm planning to avoid heating the coop, except for on days that go way below zero. Even here that's usually only a few days a year.
The coop is well ventilated, so that won't be an issue.

So true, Enola.

If you have the ability to do it and want to stay eco friendly, maybe you can stack bales of straw outside high enough to keep the roosting area of the coop free of drafts. It makes excellent insulation. The straw bales would pose no treat to the chickens if then showed an interest in it. You could also use bales of pine chips and later utilize them inside your coop as bedding.

I use deep litter also and it is working out well for me and our birds. I go in daily and turn the bedding with the rake, sprinkle down fresh bedding and don't worry about cleaning it out until 3 months is up.

If you go with the foam boards you will have to cover them as mentioned. If you do that you could use thin strand board or fiberboard to keep cost down but you have to keep some open areas to allow for ventilation or install a ceiling vent for them.

Enola, any suggestions?
I'm planning to avoid heating the coop, except for on days that go way below zero. Even here that's usually only a few days a year.
The coop is well ventilated, so that won't be an issue.
Insulation is a complete waste of money and time, proper ventilation is more important than anything, here in new england was the coldest on record and all my vents stayed fully open all winter, I know it makes no sense but it works, they were born with these great down coats that they can't take off.

My coop is insulated but I keep the windows open to vent year round so the temperature inside is the same as outside since there is no artificial heat source inside the coop. The windows are lowered only during a blizzard condition. Inside the coop is cooler in the summer though.

Back
Top Bottom