Integrating 4 pullets to Single Hen

You could probably use a cardboard box, instead of needing to make one out of wood.

Of course it won't last forever, but inside the coop (no rain) it will probably be fine for a few weeks, and I expect that would be long enough.
My assumption would be to put the box in the corner of the coop on it's side so that the "top" opening is facing out and not up so she could walk in and be surrounded on all other sides?

My assumption would be to put the box in the corner of the coop on it's side so that the "top" opening is facing out and not up so she could walk in and be surrounded on all other sides?
Yes, that is what I have done.

If it's the kind of box with flaps that close it on the top, I either cut off the flaps, or fold them in at the sides and top to make it stronger (bottom flap gets cut off or folded outward, because I never can get it to lay flat enough when I fold it in.)

I think we almost have a happy family. This morning, Bigs and 2 of the girls were in the run scratching while the other 2 girls were sitting in the coop watching them from the pop door. Blocked the nests after Bigs layed this morning. The girls still spent most of the day inside but i noticed them out more than once or twice today. Just went out to sneak a peak at their sleeping situation and all 5 were sharing the roost. Granted, Bigs was in her spot right in the center and all 4 girls were squeezed onto one side of her 🤣. Made me excited to see that this evening.

Thanks again for all the advice and input as always!

Back
Top Bottom