Integrating 6 month old muscovies

jus10inla

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
Louisiana
Picking up a drake and 3 hen muscovies today; between 6 months & a year old.

Currently have 5 other various breeds of ducks.

Will be 100% free range on 10 acres, will live on 1/2 acre pond.

When i pick fhem up tonite, my plan is to house them in a 20x20 fully enclosed run for about a week to let them know this is home. They will have a bucket to dip head in and my feeders are set up for ducks as well. After that, they will have free range.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Picking up a drake and 3 hen muscovies today; between 6 months & a year old.

Currently have 5 other various breeds of ducks.

Will be 100% free range on 10 acres, will live on 1/2 acre pond.

When i pick fhem up tonite, my plan is to house them in a 20x20 fully enclosed run for about a week to let them know this is home. They will have a bucket to dip head in and my feeders are set up for ducks as well. After that, they will have free range.

Does this sound like a good plan?
Hi @jus10inla

That might be a good plan: it really repends on the Muscovy backgrounds. I rescue rehab and release ducks -- about 80% muscovy. When the ducks are ready for release, I take them to their new pond [in Florida it has to be on private land as it is illegal to release muscovy onto public land] and let them free. I ask the landowner to feed them for a week -- often giving the feed. I return a week and a month later and the ducks have always been where they were released giving good entertainment to the landowner. One group of 4 released last spring, would fly up and follow the landowner down the road when she was walkign her dog -- in a line in the road behind the dog.

But if your ducks are domestic muscovy, I think they need shelter at night and slowly introducing to the area -- the pen is good during the day but they need safety at night.

Your land and pond sound lovely for ducks -- I wish I had that much land and a pond!
Your muscovy will not spend as much time on the pond as your mallard derived breeds. They will spend most of their time around the edge of the pond and will be vulnerable to predators at night. Some of my muscovy [all drakes and all but one is a rescue from the wild/feral] like to roost above round. Others just squat on the ground. All but one of mine do not have their wings clipped -- they are too big and fat to fly away. The other is a rehome from a domestic flock that came with a clipped wing. Female muscovy are smaller and can fly. At 6 months to 1 year your drake will likely be able to fly this spring. If they like your pond and environment and if there is enough food, they will stay.

Do post photos when they arrive!

They were raised free range/ hands off by human (no pond tho) roosted in small trees. I have all that. And plan to mimic there surroundings as much possible. Will be feeding them all flock.

Predators are dealt with before they have chance to get to ducks via a kickass dog or death by varmint rifle.

Breeder hatches out 20-30 a yr, stated most of the ppl
Who buy keep for a yr or two then butcher after clutch hatches / start over again

Not realy worried abiut them spending time on pond, but also hope there smart enough if there on the edge of water and a coyote comes by to get in the pond… at least my mallard derived do that. So maybe if they seee them do it they will do it too

I do have yotes & foxes but for the most part im able to shoot them all. Knock on wood ive never had one take a duck

They were raised free range/ hands off by human (no pond tho) roosted in small trees. I have all that. And plan to mimic there surroundings as much possible. Will be feeding them all flock.

Predators are dealt with before they have chance to get to ducks via a kickass dog or death by varmint rifle.
You may be able to just release your new muscovy as I do with my rehabbed ducks from the wild

Just got them home. Got 2 piebal hens, a solid white hen & lavender drake

Attachments

• C66DEB49-DC73-4835-A07F-DF925431AE16.jpeg
    C66DEB49-DC73-4835-A07F-DF925431AE16.jpeg
    695.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 7A9A0B22-0ED7-4E5E-A442-7ECCE923C17E.jpeg
    7A9A0B22-0ED7-4E5E-A442-7ECCE923C17E.jpeg
    709.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 506C5718-06E0-481C-9806-CBD186CEA160.jpeg
    506C5718-06E0-481C-9806-CBD186CEA160.jpeg
    654.6 KB · Views: 1

Back