Integrating a cockerel or rooster into existing flock plus young pullets

PatinOxford

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 27, 2014
I read over the older messages regarding introducing a rooster or cockerel to an existing flock, but still have a couple of questions. I have five mature hens who Rule The World (at least as far as they are concerned). I also have four guaranteed female chicks still in the brooder. I have a good system in place for adding the pullets to the grown hens when the time and weather are right, but I've never had a rooster. I am hoping to find a mostly grown rooster to add a layer of protection to the flock, especially for the pullets; we have barn cats that I think might be a little too tempted by half-grown feathered things zipping around the yard.

So question is: am I better looking for a very young cockerel and raising him with my four pullets, then integrating the five with the five? Or should I go with a grown or mostly grown rooster and get the big girls used to him, then (again, when time and weather are right) adding the pullets as I always have? Am I over-thinking this?

Thanks for opinions, facts, experiences....

Pat in SE Pennsylvania

I'd go with a mature rooster. Adding a mature rooster to a flock of mature hens is usually the easiest integration there is. You avoid all the adolescence issues. Those can be hard to watch, him being beat up by the older hens, him beating up the older hens, or him forcefully mating with the young pullets.

What usually happens when a mature rooster is introduced to a flock of mature hens he wows them with his self-confidence and magnificence. He mates a couple, usually with them being willing, and it is over, the flock is his. Occasionally the dominant hen objects to him taking over and there can be some violence between the two. Usually he runs her away from the flock for a day or two until she accepts his dominance. Sometimes it does get bloody with her getting the worst of it. But usually it is pretty simple.

Any time you deal with living animals you don't know for sure what will happen so no one can give you guarantees as to what you will see. Her attitude counts as much as his. But I have no doubt I'd try a mature rooster instead of getting a cockerel to raise with the flock.

And introduce the pullets as you normally would.

I agree, ask around, and if you get your druthers, a perfect rooster would be one that is very close to a year old, one that has been raised in a multi-generational flock, one that has been free ranged so has some experience, and one that is so darn nice, that his owners never quite got the heart to cull him. That's your boy! And they are out there.

Ridgerunner has loads of experience, so I do not doubt her, and while I have had the top hen bump chests with a rooster, and a few feathers fly. Most of the time, they are all in love by morning.

Mrs K

I read over the older messages regarding introducing a rooster or cockerel to an existing flock, but still have a couple of questions. I have five mature hens who Rule The World (at least as far as they are concerned). I also have four guaranteed female chicks still in the brooder. I have a good system in place for adding the pullets to the grown hens when the time and weather are right, but I've never had a rooster. I am hoping to find a mostly grown rooster to add a layer of protection to the flock, especially for the pullets; we have barn cats that I think might be a little too tempted by half-grown feathered things zipping around the yard.

So question is: am I better looking for a very young cockerel and raising him with my four pullets, then integrating the five with the five? Or should I go with a grown or mostly grown rooster and get the big girls used to him, then (again, when time and weather are right) adding the pullets as I always have? Am I over-thinking this?

Thanks for opinions, facts, experiences....

Pat in SE Pennsylvania
What is your system for integrating pullets to the flock?

I agree, ask around, and if you get your druthers, a perfect rooster would be one that is very close to a year old, one that has been raised in a multi-generational flock, one that has been free ranged so has some experience, and one that is so darn nice, that his owners never quite got the heart to cull him. That's your boy! And they are out there.

Ridgerunner has loads of experience, so I do not doubt her, and while I have had the top hen bump chests with a rooster, and a few feathers fly. Most of the time, they are all in love by morning.

Mrs K
I have recently acquired a flock that contains such a rooster which you described, along with a young cockerel, and 5 mature hens...one of which is the mother of the cockerel. Also in the coop, divided by a wall of chicken wire, are 20 pullets approximately 7 weeks old.
The mature flock free ranges. I recently moved a mile down the road, so today was the first day I allowed the mature flock out after 3 days of confinement. I noticed the young cockerel mounting the hens...I don't think there was any real success, but he was persistent with one hen in particular who appeared very annoyed with him. Haha!
How/when should I integrate the pullets to the mature flock? What do I do about this young cockerel being annoying? Can I put him in with the younger group who are about a 6 weeks younger than he is?

I'm so lost right now!! 🤪 Anyone with this kind of experience, please chime in.

I would leave the cockerel right where he is, those old girls will not put up with his shenanigans. And that is the educational time he needs. I would not put him in with the non-laying pullets, he will dominate them, and often times literally will run them ragged, sometimes even killing one.

The mother of the cockerel is of scant importance in chickens. Professional breeders often breed back offspring to parents. It is not a big deal.

A possible problem, though is the two roosters. Multiple roosters can get along, but often times they don't. In my experience, a young rooster growing up under an adult rooster seems to work slightly better than any other group of roosters. But they don't call it rooster fighting for nothing. This arrangement might not work, have a plan B set up and ready to go to separate these birds if needed.

If you didn't have the cockerel, I would add the pullets ASAP. A mature rooster will not bother immature pullets. He is attacked to a red comb and wattles. The cockerel is attracted to anything that moves. As is, I would wait until the pullets begin to lay, and then simply remove the fence. I would not expect any real problems after being side by side like that.

Leave both coops open for a couple of days, until you see most of the pullets roosting in the main coop, then just lock the door of the pullet coop, and they will figure it out in the main coop.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom