Integrating new chickens

Apatch

Chirping
Jul 4, 2020
Hey everyone! I just wanted to see if I was doing this right and to see if anyone had any suggestions if not or if I could do something better. We have 2 RIRs hens since we recently rehomed our rooster. When we rehomed our roo the farm we gave him to sold us 1 laying Buff Orphington and 2 pullets. We set up a pen next to our existing coop and put the older hen in it and put the little ones in a separate area. Now all the buffs are together next to the RIRs and it’s been like that for over 2 weeks. We are getting a bigger coop built with a pretty large run and then we aren’t going to let them free range the entire property and are fencing off an area off the run. I feel like it’s time to start to get everyone together since I figured in the new coop no one would feel too territorial over it. I tried letting everyone out to free range today. First the new chickens then I let our old ones out. One of our RIRs is in left field and does her own thing and paid no attention to anyone and at first so did our other RIR, but then she chased the little ones and pulled out a couple of feathers. Then the older buff jumped on her a little and ran her off. I guess this is normal, right? I put the RIR back in her coop for a little while cause the babies seemed terrified. I was going to let her out again closer to dark to give them another try. I really want them to be cool by the time this coop is built cause we are also going on vacation a little over a week after that and I want to make it easier on the person that will be caring for them. Does this sound good or is there a better way. Btw the RIRs are going to be 1 year old on the 1st. The older buff orphington is about the same age and the pullets are around 14-16 weeks. Thanks! Sorry this is so long!

You've done "see and be seen", now they have to work out the pecking order for themselves - that's a literal thing, pecking is in fact involved. The new locale should help break up existing flock dynamics, but can also result in less secure birds being more aggressive than they might otherwise. Should get thru it pretty quickly, no need to intervene unless they are making bald spots - particularly if they are attacking one chicken's hind quarters - or drawing blood more than pinpricks on combs.

Back
Top Bottom