Interesting Observation Regarding Roosters

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
Last spring I got a Bielefelder rooster for my flock of pullets. He took good care of his girls until I sent him to another farm a few weeks ago. Two of the girls, the Bielefelder and one of the Black Australorps, were his favorites. The other BA's were indifferent, and the Jersey Giants didn't like him.

In his place I have two Biel x Dominique cockerels, about 9 months old. I noticed an interesting pattern.

The Biel hen and the one BA, the previous rooster's favorites, don't like the new boys. The Jersey Giants are happy with them. The situation has reversed.

I have read that hens choose their rooster, and I seem to see that playing out.

This changes almost daily in our yard. I have a very old silkie rooster that was alone with 6 hens for about a year. Then last March I got 7 fancy silkie chicks who grew to be 2 roosters and 5 hens. The two new roosters kept to their "siblings" until about a month ago when they spied the older hens. Now the new rooster finds himself alone from time to time as all the hens are split up between the new roosters. But then the next day I'll see the old buck and one of the new ones have all the hens and one of my new roosters wanders the yard alone. It just keeps switching so who understands what is going on?

I realize I'm over on roosters, but the two new ones and the five hens are going to be color-genetically bred in February.

Back
Top Bottom