Intermittent gasping

222danette

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 5, 2014
One of my hens has been intermittently gasping and wheezing for a week or so. She doesn't always do it. What is going on and what can I do for her? I will try and check her crop tomorrow (have never done it).

How old is she? Does she lay eggs? Does she have any other symptoms, such as mucus from the beak or nasal drainage, bubbles or foam in one eye, sneezing, or swollen eyelid? Does he make any particular sound that would show up on a video? Other than the gasping, does she get around well, remain active, eating and drinking? How is the ventilation, and is there any mold or ammonia odor in the coop?

She's adopted, no idea of her age, but not young.

She laid last summer through fall, but none of my girls other than the yearlings lay much through the winter, although they are starting up again. I do not believe she is laying yet.

No mucous or other drainage, eyes look fine, no swelling. She does seem to sneeze when eating.

The gasping is mild, it has to be pretty quiet for me to hear it. She gets around the same as always, eats, haven't seen her drinking, but I rarely notice any of them drinking. The coop is fairly tight at night, but they are in a run or free range all day. No mold or ammonia odor that I can detect.

I think I palpated her crop this afternoon (couldn't get to her before she ate). She had a walnut sized, very soft (like mashed potatoes) mass. I massaged it for a while then let her go.

She has lost weight. I didn't notice it until I handled her today.

No other birds have any of the symptoms you asked about.

Check her crop in the morning when it should be empty. Let us know what it feels like. Do they have granite poultry grit in a separate container from feed?

No grit. I always assumed they picked up enough grit free ranging, but I have been keeping them in more lately b/c coyotes are in the neighborhood.

I will check her crop in the am and look for some grit tomorrow.

Thanks!

Checked Petunia this am, couldn't find a crop, so I'm assuming that means it was empty? Breathing was fine until I started palpating her, then she started gasping. When I released her, she joined the others and ate breakfast, but she does sneeze and "peep" when she's eating.

You can check it again later to see if she is eating some food. Don’t press on it firmly though since it can push food up into the throat and airway.

Back
Top Bottom