Internal bleeding in hen

Shen11

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2024
Hello! I can't seem to find any threads regarding this particular issue. One of my hens, Daisy, is a 4 year old Red Star. About 4 months ago I came out and noticed she'd been sitting in the nest box all day. That night I went to check and she was still there, so we assumed she may be egg bound. I got her out of the nest box and set her down, and what looked liked raw egg and poop came out of her vent. We checked the vent for shell fragments, and the next day a soft shell was under the roosting bar. All 4 chickens were starting their molt, so no one laid for a while. I gave them a dewormer in case it was a parasite, and I continued to supplement oyster shell and grit with their layers pellets.
Fast forward to about a month ago, and Daisy began laying again. She laid an egg where the top didn't seem fully closed, and when I cracked it the egg in the photo is what it looked like. Now I've come out in the morning to occasionally find unformed broken eggs under the roost, or properly laid eggs where the tops are sometimes not formed correctly. Also, every egg she has laid in the past month has a lot of red and brown blood, clots, and or tissue fragments. This morning I also saw blood on the roosting bar and below the bar.
Visually she seems fine, you wouldn't know anything was wrong with her, but I am wondering if she should maybe be put down or if there is some sort of solution? We don't have the luxury of an avian vet near us, so treatment is limited. If she isn't in pain, I can just toss the eggs and we all carry on, but the situation seems to be getting worse, and I don't want to prolong it if she's suffering. Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you all!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240104_102239_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20240104_102239_Reddit.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 48
Would be good to dissect that tannish lump further.
Could be a meat spot or lash(infection) material.
High production breeds often have catastrophic reproduction system issues at 3+ years.
I would put her down as her issues are not likely to 'fixed'.

Thank you, I feared as much. That photo is from over a month ago so I can't dissect, but they've been bloody and problematic since then unfortunately

She obviously has something going on with her oviduct with the eggs not properly forming. Sometimes being exposed to infectious bronchitis virus when young can lead to egg shell, laying and reproductive problems. Or it could just happen. The best thing to happen would be for her to stop laying altogether. Expensive hormone implants can do this, but hopefully, she will stop on her own. I once had a welsummer who had blood inside her egg every time. Luckily, hers were the darkest brown eggs at the time, so I just did not give those away. She stopped laying permanently at 18 months.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom