Introducing 1 hen

I have used reverse integration as suggested by springvalley123 above. I put my chilliest hen in with a single youngster, and it went fabulously. The hen wasn't thrilled to be separated from her flock but there was no bullying, and after a couple of days they settled in together. When I rejoined them with the flock, she would physically step in between the other hens and the younger singleton when she anticipated any issues. It was an amazingly simple solution

You could try putting the 2 bullies in the crate and let the new single in with the AC's.

How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
Might be able to create a separate section for 'time outs'
I was actually going to do that. I have a TS coop with that mini run attached but it’s inside a huge 10’ x 10’ run. My Brahma is in a dog crate attached to a small hutch inside that run. We will have some free time today, letting the older hens outside the run and I’ll let them in later. If they are still nasty, they will be in the dog crate for the week,or I have a larger cage I might put them in.

Agreed with BEggRN.

Another trick, is to let the original girls out, and let the new one explore the coop/run. Or put all of them in the crate except 1 and the new girl in the coop run.

Make sure your coop/run had clutter, places where birds can get away from other birds. Roosts, ladders, boxes, pallets, small pieces of cardboard, or plywood, saw horses for example.

Multiple feed bows - where as a bird eating at one station cannot see a bird eating at another.

And a warning flag just came up to me, I think this brings your flock up to 5? Do you have a pre-fab coop that says it can hold 6 birds? Because they cannot.

Mrs K

Agreed with BEggRN.

Another trick, is to let the original girls out, and let the new one explore the coop/run. Or put all of them in the crate except 1 and the new girl in the coop run.

Make sure your coop/run had clutter, places where birds can get away from other birds. Roosts, ladders, boxes, pallets, small pieces of cardboard, or plywood, saw horses for example.

Multiple feed bows - where as a bird eating at one station cannot see a bird eating at another.

And a warning flag just came up to me, I think this brings your flock up to 5? Do you have a pre-fab coop that says it can hold 6 birds? Because they cannot.

Mrs K
The coop is closed up to be one big coop and I wrote above it’s enclosed in a huge run.

I thought yesterday afternoon was going good. I put a no-pick solution on her back, and the "elders" didn't like the taste, as I saw they grabbed at her but backed away and eventually besides a few jumping out of the way, things seemed ok, I left the little hutch out there so the new girl could stay in there away from everyone except this morning, she was still in there and when she walked out they were on her again. trying to pull her feathers, etc. And when she sees me she jumps on me.(well i think that is cute in a way since non of my other chickens see me that way). So this morning I put a large cage in their run and now the elders are in there, for the week I guess? Is that long enough? The new girl is in the run with the 2 other young ones.

Back
Top Bottom