Introducing 2 yr old hens to 5 mo old chicks

Judykaymayes

Songster
Mar 2, 2023
I am wanting advice on how to add 2 yr old hens to my" 6 "5 mo old chicks there is a 8 mo old rooster in with them now but they don't like him and thought we need a few more in the pen to have a better hen to roo ratio.

From what I've heard around, placing the newbies with the others at night after they've all gone to sleep works the best. From my experience, I add my newbies to the flock and give them two weeks to settle the new pecking order. During that time, I try to prevent the newbies from hiding because it will take them longer to adjust.

As far as the rooster is concerned, has your two-year-olds ever had a rooster before, and if so, how long ago was it? They might not like him because 1, they're not used to a rooster, or 2, they don't like his inexperience.

From what I've heard around, placing the newbies with the others at night after they've all gone to sleep works the best. From my experience, I add my newbies to the flock and give them two weeks to settle the new pecking order. During that time, I try to prevent the newbies from hiding because it will take them longer to adjust.

As far as the rooster is concerned, has your two-year-olds ever had a rooster before, and if so, how long ago was it? They might not like him because 1, they're not used to a rooster, or 2, they don't like his inexperience.
I got the hens today and there were with a rooster

Back
Top Bottom