Introducing a single 16 week Icelandic pullet

ckuehn

Songster
Jul 5, 2022
Southeast North Dakota
Does anyone have experience introducing a single pullet about 16 weeks into a flock of 24 hens (various ages, sizes and breeds). I have limited space and winters are sometimes harsh here, but I would really like to have this Icelandic hen.

Do you keep them in a run or free-range them?
I free range them. I can do so most of the time, especially with a cold hardy Icelandic, but January's are hard. I can't really tell if my house/coop is too small for them. I have two quarantine spaces and two rooms so birds can be separated. There is a separate nesting room, but they get on each others nerves in the winter. I'm probably just freaky because last winter was so bad, there were literally weeks that they couldn't be outside. But for now, they get out every morning at 8 and don't all go in until 9:00 pm. I do have a run for her until she gets acclimated. I can get two hens, but that would put me at 26. I can't rehome anyone though. I have three bantams and no really aggressive breeds.

Measurements give a clearer picture of the coop, or better yet a picture.

If you have a coop and an attached run, let everyone out to free range, and lock the new bird in the run. This will let her explore, find the hideouts, find the feed stations without being chased for her life. Do this two or three days. Then add 1 middle of the pecking order chicken to her.

There will be a bit of bluster, but one on one, it should settle fairly quickly. Keep this pair together 3-4 days. Next add a pair to this pair. Again, a bit of bluster, but should settle really fast at this time. Wait a day or two, then let them all free range together, and she should come back with the others and roost with the flock.

Mrs K

Well since you free range, it would be easier for you and her with integration. When your ready to place her, have the flock out first then place her near them and watch the group behavior. If there's light pecking, she will be able to run away from it. She should be able to blend in easier with everyone.

Well since you free range, it would be easier for you and her with integration. When your ready to place her, have the flock out first then place her near them and watch the group behavior. If there's light pecking, she will be able to run away from it. She should be able to blend in easier with everyone.
I have 4 fifteen-week-old pullets who are the interlopers now and always running from the bosses. She could hang out with them. They are too harrassed to be threats, I think.

Measurements give a clearer picture of the coop, or better yet a picture.
This^^^.....better yet both dimensions and pics.

Also......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1691489908557.png

Back
Top Bottom