woodworm

Crowing
8 Years
May 31, 2015
North Wales, UK
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone

We have 3 ex batt's (RIR) in an enclosed coop (8 x 6 feet) and run (8 x 18 feet). A couple of weeks ago we were asked if we could give a home to 6 additional hens (2 x legbar, 2 x maran and 2 x unidentified hens, smaller than the others but not quite bantam size) - we believe they are a couple of years old.

For the first week we split the run in two so that they had half each - they could see each other, but not mingle with each other. There was the odd standoff but nothing serious. After a week we let them all out to free range together for an hour or so while we took down the temporary divide. We put up a pallet so that they could get out of sight of each other and there are multiple feeders and waterers.

Since putting them back in the run the 6 newbies all stay in the coop, presumably hiding from the 3 RIR's. This has been like this for 5 days now. The two legbars seem a little braver as they are the first out when throwing treats. I don't really want to put food and water in the coop as I don't want to encourage this behaviour, but we are concerned they aren't eating and drinking enough - when they do come out they seem ravenous.

When I check the coop cams the RIR's are just going about their usual chickeny business - no chasing or bullying, etc.

Should we put them out in the run and close the coop door forcing them to mingle?

Thanks

I wouldn't force them to do anything they don't want. I would make an exception and add food and water to the coop for them until pecking order is established and their coming out with the rest. If they are not laying you could lock them up in the run out of the coop so others can lay while out free ranging just so they feel safe.
Are they roosting together?

They don't roost together.

A little while ago I'd built a new platform in the run about 12" high - the RIR have since taken to sleeping on that. I didn't really understand that as technically it's the lowest roost in the coop or run. They do go upto the coop to lay eggs and they will hang around in there. I have thought about putting them up in the coop at night but wasn't sure this was a good idea.

Just in case anyone searches for a similar answer I thought I'd post an update.

Took about a month for them all to mingle. The original RIR's are still 'top dog' but they all seem to get along and they are all roosting in the coop now.

Back
Top Bottom