Introducing chickens after seperation

bonandtam

Chirping
Jul 23, 2023
Hi all,
few weeks ago i got two hens to join my lonely chicken. For the past weeks they have been seperate with the see no touch method and all was well. I’m at a point where i wanna start introducing them slowly. I have been supervising them during their contacted introductions. They are pecking and constant following of one another but i really can’t tell what is ‘asserting dominance’ for the pecking order or just straight bullying ahah. Is there a difference between the two? Also how long would it take for the peking order to be established?

From what I've seen, bullying is repeated attacks, bloody and violent attacks, or when the bully has a bite and won't let go - lots of chasing, flapping and squawking. Asserting dominance in the pecking order is one or a few quick pecks. Might be a squawk or two, a short chase, and it's over; they go back to their business, although the underling might hide or keep her distance for awhile.

I don't really know how long it normally lasts... in my flock, establishing dominance is over in a day or less. Bullying just goes on and on, or repeats day after day, until you intervene or someone gets hurt.

IMO you are doing it too slowly and prolonging it. Each time you separate them, you start over. they have to do the bluster bit all over again.

A good rule of thumb is if there is no blood, do not interfere. Another is time. Do they approach each other, posture, get in a lick or two, and it is over, then it starts all over again, 2-3 minutes later...that is normal. If you leave them be, they will get over it.

Instead of introducing 1 strange bird to 2 established birds, split the pair, and put the new bird with ONE of the original birds. It is much easier to introduce one to one, verse two against one. Leave them together for 2-3 days, and then add in the other.

A lot depends on your set up! What does your run look like? Is it an open rectangle where all the chickens can see all of the other chickens 100% of the time. If so, you need to add a lot of clutter. Add pallets (cheap and easy to come by) lean them against walls, add cement blocks and make platforms that chickens can get on top of or underneath. Add mini walls in the middle of the run, or kitty corner across a corner, add ladders or saw horses, or roosts. These allow chickens to get out of sight for a moment and wil really help.

Mrs K

All became best friends after your guys advice and now hang out together and sleep together, little bossing around food but i know that’s normal. Thanks 😄

Attachments

• IMG_9846.jpeg
    IMG_9846.jpeg
    621 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9840.jpeg
    IMG_9840.jpeg
    890.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom