Introducing ducks to chickens advice

holiday hawk

Chirping
Apr 12, 2023
Our ducks have lived in as run within a run of the chicken run for a week, so that the chickens could see but not interact with them. Among the chickens there are 3 fully grown adults and 4 twelve week old teens. The ducks are all 7 weeks. We put everyone in the same run today and I think things went mostly fine. There was of course some pecking and bullying, but a lot less than when we introduce the teen chickens to the adults a couple of weeks ago. Most of the aggression happens near one of their food or water containers (there are multiple of each). It's mostly chicken on duck aggression. Every once in a while a duck will bill or charge at a chicken (usually a teen, but sometimes an adult). No blood is being drawn, nor even feathers really being pulled. It's usually just the aggressive party (whatever chicken or duck) just shooing the other bird species away. I wanted to share some videos I took and see what you all think. I was thinking about putting everyone back in their own coop again tonight but permanently moving everyone in the same coop tomorrow after spending a full day together in the run. By the time I started taking these videos both parties have already simmered down, so they are only pecking at each other in a couple videos. They are even mostly ignoring each other near what was the chicken's feeder and waterer, so the chickens aren't being overly defensive of it. What do you all think? Do they look like intros are going as well as bird intros can?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LMWifCBMWVnPaRWz8

I personally would separate them out at night for a while. I usually go a month or so before feeling like everything will be okay.

I agree What @oldhenlikesdogs said. and I build a dividing wall inside the coop for nighttime, take it down after about a month. during the day they can get away from each other, but cooped up together at night, is a different story..

Back
Top Bottom