Introducing new chicks to flock

Alex S

Songster
Nov 20, 2020
Kirkland, Washington
Hello!

I have four baby chicks and two of them are almost ready to go out to the coop. How does one do this? My new chicks would still need chick grit and chick feed, but I assume my hens would not want to eat chick grit and chick feed. So what is the general procedure of integrating new flock members?

Also at what age can I start to tell if I have hens/roos?

Thanks,
Alex

Hello!

I have four baby chicks and two of them are almost ready to go out to the coop. How does one do this?
I find that letting them see each other through the fence, then letting them free range together works well. (Keep a close eye on them) Pictures of your coop?
My new chicks would still need chick grit and chick feed, but I assume my hens would not want to eat chick grit and chick feed. So what is the general procedure of integrating new flock members?
I always feed my hens, rooster, and new chicks either flock raiser/ all flock/ l it crumbles or pellets, depending on which they can eat. Just give the hens free choice oyster shell. As for grit, just make sure there's both little and big pieces. I don't have to supplement grit, though, because (at least for me) there's plenty in the dirt.

Honestly, my hens seem to like crumbles more than pellets.
Also at what age can I start to tell if I have hens/roos?
6-8 weeks, usually, depending on breed. I see your in Washington, so I'm guessing the chicks are fairly feathered now if you want to put them out.
Thanks,
Alex

You have 4 and 2 are "ready" to go out soon ... What's their ages? Are they fully feathered? Assuming the 4 are together now, I would keep them together and introduce 4 at the same time. They'd stick together and the flock less likely to single one out.

How many in your flock? What are the breeds? What are you feeding them?
Layer feed has more calcium in it than the chicks young system can handle. It would be ok for the hens to eat chick feed/girt but not the opposite way around.

Some can tell by the chicks combs between the ages or 4 - 8wks. Cockerels will start trying to crow about 8+wks and the male feathering can be seen at about 12wks. You could post pictures for your chick for us to "guess" but be sure to post their ages.

To introduce chicks to a flock, it's strongly recommended the "See but No Touch". Put the chicks in a wire cage with food/water & put the cage in the coop. That way the flock gets to check them out without hurting them. Or secure part of the coop so the chicks are safe from the flock or can escape the flock when harassed, for their protection. The flock can see them but not hurt them.

Some feed an All Flock or Multi Flock feed instead of layer, a separate dish for Oyster Shells for the hens who will eat as they need. That way one feed, less storage issues ... They main difference between layer vs flock is the calcium content in the feed, hens need the extra to support their bones and egg shells ... It may cause liver/kidney issues in chicks although some will disagree.

Pictures of your coop?

PXL_20220418_000544495.MP.jpg I put the oldest chick (five weeks) outside with my hens and the chick ran away and jumped on my shoulder

How many in your flock? What are the breeds? What are you feeding them?
There is now 6 total in my flock. 2 buff Orpingtons (would have been 3 buffs but one was taken away by a coyote). One Ameraucana, One Blue Australorp, One Welsummer, and one Jersey Giant.

I am feeding them Purina medicated start & grow

This is Poppy
5 week old Americana
This picture was taken 2 days ago
PXL_20220416_003641146.MP.jpg PXL_20220416_003638264.MP.jpg

Love your set up ... If you can find a way to secure the chicks UNDER the coop, yet have access to them for feeding & watering, it would be a good place to do a "See but No Touch" for a few weeks. BOs and JG are big birds compared to the size of your chicks ... Personally I've never intergrated into my flock (3 - 5) and I never put them into the Chicken House (8x12x7; run + coop) until they're about 8 - 12wks, depending on the weather.

Every year I'd sell my girls (taking my annual Grandma trip to visit grandkids), start over when I got back or next Spring. This year I kept what I had (2 WTB & 1 BS) & just got an 8wks WTG & 5wk WTB/Maran from a friend, also got a 16wk Serama whose's "high maintenance" in the house at night & out in the patio during the day.

The 2 chicks are in quarantine for about a couple of weeks to a month, put them into awire cage & that in the CH in a couple of weeks. Depending how all that works, I will then remove the wire cage at night, putting the chicks on the roost & pray I'm not awaken in the morning with a fight going on. :fl

Back
Top Bottom