Introducing poults to each other

dabb

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 16, 2011
I have four poults. Two are 7 weeks and two are 11 weeks. They are in my basement right now separated but need to get outside in a mutual coop. How do I introduce them to each other? I've done this with chickens but never turkeys. TIA

I have four poults. Two are 7 weeks and two are 11 weeks. They are in my basement right now separated but need to get outside in a mutual coop. How do I introduce them to each other? I've done this with chickens but never turkeys. TIA
If they are where they can see each other, I would just put them all together and watch what happens. Be ready to move quickly if needed but it will probably work okay.

Do you know the sex yet of them? Just curious as I think the females will be more docile at those ages (we have some from a clutch we hatched (mama turkey did) and some a few weeks older that we had purchased right before the others hatched, we actually were able to move them all into new surroundings when the babies were born (she had nested in a briar patch by our dog pen so we waited until they all hatched to move them) and while she wasn't 100% accepting at first, she's over time realized they aren't going anywhere. So you might not have any issues. If they're both (male and female), you'll know because the jakes will definitely start strutting. Like @R2elk said, just keep an eye on them. At this age if they do fight with each other they can still rupture air sacs on each other (the hens though they'll tend to lay down if they feel threatened to show submission). Give them a chance with separate feeders to start off with too. This will help reduce a chance of them being aggressive over feed. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Do you know the sex yet of them? Just curious as I think the females will be more docile at those ages (we have some from a clutch we hatched (mama turkey did) and some a few weeks older that we had purchased right before the others hatched, we actually were able to move them all into new surroundings when the babies were born (she had nested in a briar patch by our dog pen so we waited until they all hatched to move them) and while she wasn't 100% accepting at first, she's over time realized they aren't going anywhere. So you might not have any issues. If they're both (male and female), you'll know because the jakes will definitely start strutting. Like @R2elk said, just keep an eye on them. At this age if they do fight with each other they can still rupture air sacs on each other (the hens though they'll tend to lay down if they feel threatened to show submission). Give them a chance with separate feeders to start off with too. This will help reduce a chance of them being aggressive over feed. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
I don't know yet for sure, but I'm suspecting the older ones might both be female. They haven't given me any indication of being male as of yet. I'll try to be brave and introduce them today. I'm always a coward when it comes to introducing animals, lol. Chickens I know exactly how to introduce, turkeys not so much. Thank you you both for you advicertainly do I'll let you know how it goes.

I don't know yet for sure, but I'm suspecting the older ones might both be female. They haven't given me any indication of being male as of yet. I'll try to be brave and introduce them today. I'm always a coward when it comes to introducing animals, lol. Chickens I know exactly how to introduce, turkeys not so much. Thank you you both for you advice certainly do I'll let you know how it goes.
The main thing is that there is plenty of room where you put them together. Other than turkeys needing a lot more room than chickens it is still the see but no touch before introducing to each other.

Back
Top Bottom