Introducing two 7 week old chicks to four 8 week old chicks

MaryHoffman

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2021
Hi all,

I currently have a flock of four that I just moved from the brooder to the coop yesterday. They’re approximately 8 weeks old (Brahma, olive egger, 2 GLW). I’ll be getting 2 7-8 week old buff Orpington chicks today and am wondering what the best way to go about introducing them is. I didn’t know if introducing chicks to chicks is easier than merging 2 adult flocks. Any input would be appreciated!

Yes, introducing chicks to other chicks is usually easier than introducing adult chickens to other adult chickens. The younger the chicks, the easier it is.

First think about whether you will quarantine the new chicks (that would mean keeping them completely separate for some period of time, often a month, to watch for possible diseases or parasites that could infect your other chickens.)

After quarantine, or if you decide not to quarantine, I suggest you put the new chicks in the coop, and watch what happens. There will probably be some pecking, chasing, and fighting behavior. Adding something distracting, like a nice pile of something new to scratch through, can help it go more smoothly. But if they settle their new pecking order, and no-one gets hurt, then your introduction is all done. (This sometimes works with adult chickens too.)

If just putting them together does not work, then use a look-no-touch situation for at least a few days, and possibly up to a few weeks. This would probably mean dividing the coop & run with wire mesh, or making a second pen next to the one your current chicks are in, or putting the new chicks in a cage inside the run, or something of the sort. After they have gotten used to living next to each other, try putting them together in one pen, or letting them out to range together. Depending on how it goes, either leave them together, or do short stretches every day until they seem to accept each other.

If the current chicks try to gang up on the new ones (because 4 outnumber 2), you could add just one or two of the current ones to the new two. Then when they are comfortable together, put all the chicks together.

Yes, introducing chicks to other chicks is usually easier than introducing adult chickens to other adult chickens. The younger the chicks, the easier it is.

First think about whether you will quarantine the new chicks (that would mean keeping them completely separate for some period of time, often a month, to watch for possible diseases or parasites that could infect your other chickens.)

After quarantine, or if you decide not to quarantine, I suggest you put the new chicks in the coop, and watch what happens. There will probably be some pecking, chasing, and fighting behavior. Adding something distracting, like a nice pile of something new to scratch through, can help it go more smoothly. But if they settle their new pecking order, and no-one gets hurt, then your introduction is all done. (This sometimes works with adult chickens too.)

If just putting them together does not work, then use a look-no-touch situation for at least a few days, and possibly up to a few weeks. This would probably mean dividing the coop & run with wire mesh, or making a second pen next to the one your current chicks are in, or putting the new chicks in a cage inside the run, or something of the sort. After they have gotten used to living next to each other, try putting them together in one pen, or letting them out to range together. Depending on how it goes, either leave them together, or do short stretches every day until they seem to accept each other.

If the current chicks try to gang up on the new ones (because 4 outnumber 2), you could add just one or two of the current ones to the new two. Then when they are comfortable together, put all the chicks together.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom