Is 22 percent protein too much?

MommyGirl

Crowing
Jul 10, 2020
Georgia
Hello everyone! I usually feed flockraiser 20 percent to my flock but for the last 4 months at my tractor supply the flockraiser has been more than 6 months old so I started buying the nutrena meat bird food and it’s 22 percent protein. Is that ok atleast for awhile until they get some newer flockraiser?

In my experience either one is more protein than they need but it shouldn't hurt them. I've raised a mixed flock of chickens and guinea fowl and the guineas needed game bird starter which is 22 to 24% protein and I didn't notice that it created any problems for the chicks or in the birds when they were adults.

Normally I feed them 16% layer crumbles, plus whatever they get foraging while they free-range.

I recall a member on here citing a study claiming the highest success rate of incubated eggs came from birds who were fed 22% protein feeds. It was a pretty interesting conversation, but of course I can't find it now. Anyway, mine have been on 22% chick feed all winter and they've not stopped laying since going on that feed. I use Modesto though not Nutrena.

Back
Top Bottom