Is a 5'x10' inside coop area too small for a peacock and 2 hens?

down2earth

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2022
Bloomsburg, PA
I divided a 10x10 shed/coop in half to make room for new peafowl. I also split a larger run in half to make another 10'x35' run which is the size of all my runs attached to all my various sized coops.(that's what happens when you keep adding on.)
Now the one shed is 5'x10' on each side but each side has a 10'x35' run attached.
Also each one of my sheds/coops has a protected wire outside "porch" with a roof (approx 4'x8') between the coop and run so they can be locked up in inclement weather but still be outside. They are well protected from predators. We live in the mountains.

So basically they have a decent amount of outside area.
I'm worried that the (2) 5'x10' inside coop areas are going to be too small for a peacock and 2 peahens in each side.
I live in NE PA and the winters do get cold. Each side has a heated perch.
Any thoughts?

150 sq ft of total space per bird is our minimum per pen and coop. 10ft wide is barely enough space for a displaying cock to turn around. If you are restricting them to a 5x10 during the cold of winter it does not sound very humane unless they can get out for exercise.

150 sq ft of total space per bird is our minimum per pen and coop. 10ft wide is barely enough space for a displaying cock to turn around. If you are restricting them to a 5x10 during the cold of winter it does not sound very humane unless they can get out for exercise.
Thanks for the reply. I just needed someone to tell me it was a bad idea.
Looks like another coop and run is a better idea.

Back
Top Bottom