Is Early Crowing a sign of early maturity? If so, will the daughters inherit early maturity and lay eggs earlier?

Clarification regarding estradiol, the effect of this hormone in sexual maturation only applies to female chickens, pullets.

Hi, would just like to add, for what it's worth: Living here, a degree south of the tropic, I am technically in the subtropical/temperate zone... It is nearly impossible to raise chicks here in summer.. they don't thrive nor hardly grow. If started in fall-winter, they do very well, and grow up heat hardy. We've never lost fall/winter started chickens to heat stress even at temps over 100°F/37°C. they do skip egg days for a couple of days/weeks til the heat waves abate, tho. We generally raise dualpurpose and meat chickens.
What if you mate a naked neck rooster to a couple of your dual purpose hens and time the hatching of the eggs during the summer to find out if having the naked neck trait would enable the chicks to thrive under the heat stress of summer? Or if naked neck chicks are available to purchase during the summer you could get a few and experiment...my current project is developing my own composite native naked neck x heritage chicken that would be highly productive in a hot humid climate. out of 3 F1 hens ( the father is 50/50 mix RIR Dekalb White and the mother is an indigenous naked neck) one has been laying consistently 5-6 eggs a week since the first week of August 2023. For 7 months now this F1 naked neck hybrid has continuously laid eggs without going broody. Laying eggs like a pure heritage/commercial layer breed. Of her 2 female sibs, 1 became broody after laying 20 eggs while the other also continuously laid eggs but died after 4 months. It is very hot and humid here. This hen is totally free ranging; commercial feed provided. She started laying at the age of 6 months and 1 day.
F1 native naked neck heritage commercial egg layer cross IMG20230628173840.jpg

Compared to Brown Nick (BN) hens (commercial brown egg layer; parental stocks imported from Germany) that I have hatched (bought fertile eggs) and raised and also purchased ready to lay, this F1 hen eats more and her eggs are bigger with thicker eggshell. Because of the heat, performance of the BN are below standard, in terms of egg size- smaller due to less feed intake and eggshells are thinner but they have been laying continuously.

Back
Top Bottom