Is holding the tail up high a male trait?

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
I have 5 barnyard mix chicks. I received eggs from a friend, they have Cochin genes, as well as maybe serama as well as silky.

This one is Ginger, and it’s my favorite, but “she’s” (wishful thinking) the largest, and usually the most quarrelsome and is often the main chest bumper. She also holds her tail very high all the time. So I’m wondering if the tail is a male thing, one of the others I suspect is male, also holds the tail very high, but not constantly like Ginger does.

I know they’re too young to officially gender, but is the tail a possible early indicator?

FCD04D56-EB24-4FDC-A80B-00CB35A2CF13.jpeg
FE8972FC-89BD-4ACE-B589-B14A8BD3198A.jpeg

I left my curious little photo bomber in the pic because he’s so cute.

No, how high a tail is held, isn't a male only trait. Females do it too.
Here's my Silkie hen when she was a chick.View attachment 3302343
Ty! It’s good to know there’s still hope, I just noticed 2 others have pretty significant starts to combs, so I’m hopeful there’s still a chance for ginger to be a pullet. I have a chipmunk pattern like the small chick in your pic, very cute! Mine has Sasquatch feet tho.

Ty! It’s good to know there’s still hope, I just noticed 2 others have pretty significant starts to combs, so I’m hopeful there’s still a chance for ginger to be a pullet. I have a chipmunk pattern like the small chick in your pic, very cute! Mine has Sasquatch feet tho.
You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom