Is it better to turn an egg too much or too little close to hatch

Feb 19, 2023
Hi everyone,

I saved a duck egg under a broody hen that had cracked 2 weeks ago. I had no expectations for it to survive with a large crack but i must have caught it in time. I sealed the crack with candle wax and placed it in the incubator and have been manually turning it.

My issue is that i have NO IDEA what day it’s on, just a rough idea that it’s likely anywhere from 23-26 days. I do not want to stop turning it too early but I’m thinking about stopping since veins have started to recede and movements are less obvious.

Should I stop turning it or is better to continue to hand turn and let it hatch when it’s ready? I go 4-6 hours between turns and so far everything seems okay but i don’t want the lil one to flip in it’s shell if it is to survive. Any tips?

Too little. The last week, they don't need it as much as the prior weeks
Thank you! Should I position the air cell up and just leave it be? Last time i turned it, i believe it’s angled downward (small end of egg still at the lowest point, the tilt of the air cell is just downward). I’m unsure if that matters or if they’ll figure it out.

I’ve only hatched call ducks and never an egg who may be able to hatch without assistance so I’m trying to be as hands off as possible.

Hi everyone,

I saved a duck egg under a broody hen that had cracked 2 weeks ago. I had no expectations for it to survive with a large crack but i must have caught it in time. I sealed the crack with candle wax and placed it in the incubator and have been manually turning it.

My issue is that i have NO IDEA what day it’s on, just a rough idea that it’s likely anywhere from 23-26 days. I do not want to stop turning it too early but I’m thinking about stopping since veins have started to recede and movements are less obvious.

Should I stop turning it or is better to continue to hand turn and let it hatch when it’s ready? I go 4-6 hours between turns and so far everything seems okay but i don’t want the lil one to flip in it’s shell if it is to survive. Any tips?
You should be able to see signs
Egg rocking , air cell dipping furward fast and shadowing along the lower part of the air cell
Once I see those signs it’s lockdown for me
I don’t do day 25 I go by my eggs if it hits day 25 great if earlier or later that’s okay too

You should be able to see signs
Egg rocking , air cell dipping furward fast and shadowing along the lower part of the air cell
Once I see those signs it’s lockdown for me
I don’t do day 25 I go by my eggs if it hits day 25 great if earlier or later that’s okay too
I’m thinking this baby is close to hatch and I am so thrilled (first one from our own flock) the air cell is smaller than I prefer but as far as I have read, it should not be an issue if I am able to assist if needed. I think it was just due to the crack allowing more moisture in so I’ve been ventilating and lowered the humidity but I am honestly just shocked the fetus was able to develop after being cracked under it’s mom. I’ll lock down the brooder except to candle every 8-12 hours just to make sure I don’t have to assist. Thank you!

I’m thinking this baby is close to hatch and I am so thrilled (first one from our own flock) the air cell is smaller than I prefer but as far as I have read, it should not be an issue if I am able to assist if needed. I think it was just due to the crack allowing more moisture in so I’ve been ventilating and lowered the humidity but I am honestly just shocked the fetus was able to develop after being cracked under it’s mom. I’ll lock down the brooder except to candle every 8-12 hours just to make sure I don’t have to assist. Thank you!
Good luck and keep us posted
If baby does get internal pip then make a small safety hole
No bigger then a pin of a tac
This allows air but doesn’t prevent baby from hatching themselves
Opening bigger holes will only stop baby from hatching itself and keep you needing to prevent shrink wrap by setting membrane
If after 48 hours from first sign of internal and baby has not made it’s own pip you can candle outside of the air cell towards the pointy end liking fur veins. By then baby fax moved into the air cell giving lots if took ti see inside. You see veins yoy wait another 4-6 hours then check again
Once all veins look clear I then make a zip myself with my finger nail and pull the cap slightly to loosen it
Set back in bator and give baby time to try to hatch itself
If to stick and can’t I remove a little more shell from around the head
So much better then opening the egg more snd more over time and having to be in and out ti moisten then membrane

Back
Top Bottom