Is it Mareks?

How old is your chicken? What does the other eye and color look like? Has your chicken suffered any injuries? If the other eye is not that color, I would wonder about possible ocular Mareks. I am no expert on Mareks or eyes, just an observer. Many chickens with ocular Mareks will develop a gray eye, and the pupil may be smaller and irregular. Here is more info:
https://ucanr.edu/sites/aves/files/336233.pdf

More pictures (normal eye in center)
https://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/avian_atlas_assets/MD-024A x750.jpg
I was told about 3 months old. Just got her 3 days ago. Both eyes are the same
No injuries that I know of.

Attachments

• 7FA2CCF7-4993-4C3E-89EC-3DFA27584210.jpeg
    7FA2CCF7-4993-4C3E-89EC-3DFA27584210.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 1AE0FE36-CE20-49C4-AA65-BB48C6C6B457.jpeg
    1AE0FE36-CE20-49C4-AA65-BB48C6C6B457.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 1
@Eggcessive i talked to the breeder today and she said it’s nothing to worry about. So I’m hoping she’s correct.
Do you know what breed she is? Or what color the eyes are normally? Has she been around your other chickens? Since both eyes are gray with irregular pupils, I would be a little worried. Edited to say, the left pupil looks round, not irregular. If it is ocular Mareks, you could be exposing other healthy birds to it. Mareks virus is spread through the dust and dander of feathers. That pretty much travels everywhere, and it is impossible to prevent the spread. It can remain in the environment for many months to years.

Do you know what breed she is? Or what color the eyes are normally? Has she been around your other chickens? Since both eyes are gray with irregular pupils, I would be a little worried. Edited to say, the left pupil looks round, not irregular. If it is ocular Mareks, you could be exposing other healthy birds to it. Mareks virus is spread through the dust and dander of feathers. That pretty much travels everywhere, and it is impossible to prevent the spread. It can remain in the environment for many months to years.
Splash Ameraucana
I introduced her to my flock in a wire cage

Splash Ameraucanas

@Eggcessive i talked to the breeder today and she said it’s nothing to worry about. So I’m hoping she’s correct.
@Eggcessive ok. Now I’m kinda freaking out. 😳 here are more pictures. Of both eyes. They were a light color when we got her this weekend. So I assumed they are naturally a lighter color

Attachments

• 4F1730E6-CB39-42C1-AC90-8EAC827C4966.png
    4F1730E6-CB39-42C1-AC90-8EAC827C4966.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
I’ve reached back to the breeder and she said she has been vaccinated against mareks. Though I know it’s 100%

Yes, the birth defect would be there in the beginning. There is a pcr blood test for Mareks disease done by a few labs in the US. Blood is obtained from a cut toenail and sent back in to the lab. Here is a link for the lab in Texas that does it, and you can contact them for info:
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

How is your chicken looking now? Sorry that I did not see your later posts.
I had one last question. The kit comes with three tests. Do I have to send all 3 back to get the results or can I just send back the one from the suspect chicken?

Back
Top Bottom