Is it ok to feed 10 weeks old barred rock layer feed ?

Jayfengling

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2021
I have 10 barred rock pullet which is 10 weeks old and one hen , recently feeding all of them starter and grower , with oyster shell on the side for hen , my question is can I start feeding them layer feed now ? Thanks

In my opinion at 10 weeks they're still too young, they need to grow, so they need a feed which has more proteins (like chick feeds) and they don't need so much calcium that layer feed has

When I ask the lady at the feed store , she said it ok to give them layer feed now. But when I google most answers are 16-20 weeks ,
Feed store workers don’t know s*** 🤣Definitely listen to you BYC friends - no layer feed until at least 18 to 20 weeks of age. Personally, I would skip it completely and leave them on grower / finisher / All Flock / Flock Raiser and just offer free choice oyster shell on the side. We do this with our 25 chickens and they lay regularly and their eggshells are perfect.

10 weeks way to young they wont statt laying til 16-18 week plus layer feed can cause kidney damage i recommend u carry on with growers and oyster for another 6-8 weeks
Sam xx

Back
Top Bottom