Is it time to remove rooster?

Jules333

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2023
I am a new chicken momma. I have 8 pullets and 2 cockerals that are 5 months old all raised together. One cockeral has been trying to mate with the girls, pulling their heads and tearing out a few feathers They seem afraid to come out of the coop in the morning and stay up high roosting most of day. I feel like they are trapped. The cockerals hang out below them on the ground strutting around and eventually join them to roost. Should I remove this one cockeral or is this normal behavior? I feel like my girls are not able to relax and feel free to peck around.

If your girls are stressed they will not lay eggs. If you are keeping your chickens for eggs than the rooster is causing more problems then they are worth. My best advice would be to remove the rooster and if you are wanting another rooster you can always order another breed that maybe has a temperament that you are looking for.
And sometimes when they are like this - all active and stuff - that can lead to aggression toward you. And that’s an even bigger problem. You shouldn’t let them get to that point though.
I am speaking from experience. :rolleyes:

I am a new chicken momma. I have 8 pullets and 2 cockerals that are 5 months old all raised together. One cockeral has been trying to mate with the girls, pulling their heads and tearing out a few feathers They seem afraid to come out of the coop in the morning and stay up high roosting most of day. I feel like they are trapped. The cockerals hang out below them on the ground strutting around and eventually join them to roost. Should I remove this one cockeral or is this normal behavior? I feel like my girls are not able to relax and feel free to peck around.
Cockerels can take a while to learn their manners. These actions are usual for young males. The girls are young and not ready for so much male attention.

2 cockerels are probably too many for 8 pullets. I would plan on removing one anyway or adding 8 or more pullets or hens.

Space helps a lot. Do they free range? or have a large enclosure? The girls need to be able to get away from the boys attention.
Less stress you them and you!

I agree with @NanaK .
This cockerel has matured sooner than the other, and has no adult hens or roosters to teach him manners, and squelch his adolescent behaviors, with pullets who aren't ready for all this.
And two cockerels are just too many for this little group anyway. Move this guy on, and see how your other cockerel behaves. Or, separate them both.
Having lots of space, areas where birds can be out of sight of each other, and multiple feeders and waterers in separate locations, all helpful too.
Mary

Thanks chickens105. I put both roosters out to free range early this morning. I'm still not sure if I'll keep them (they are both so sweet with people-for now). We're quite attached to them but want what's best for the girls for sure.
If your girls are stressed they will not lay eggs. If you are keeping your chickens for eggs than the rooster is causing more problems then they are worth. My best advice would be to remove the rooster and if you are wanting another rooster you can always order another breed that maybe has a temperament that you are looking for.
And sometimes when they are like this - all active and stuff - that can lead to aggression toward you. And that’s an even bigger problem. You shouldn’t let them get to that point though.
I am speaking from experience. :rolleyes:

My wife and I started with 5 roosters and 16 hens. The 5 roosters were WAY too many to deal with and we ended up with serious injuries on our hens. We *cough* took away *cough* the roosters we did not want, and kept one sweet boy. He is gentle with the girls, and loves us too. I would recommend watching the two that you have and deciding which rooster you would like to keep for your flock - the personality of your rooster will ultimately affect the behavior of the flock as well!

Really with a first flock all hens is nice. And it is very difficult to raise up a good rooster with just flockmates. Without older, bigger birds they often just become bullies.

I would let both go, get some experience and if you want add a rooster next year.
Thank you Mrs. K. That makes a lot of sense that the cockerals need mentors. We thought we were getting one rooster but ended up with two. One is the alpha but this morning after putting him out to free range, the beta got after one of the girls so I put him out as well. We still need to decide what to do with these boys. We're attached already. They are very sweet and like to be held but I won't tolerate abuse with my girls.

My wife and I started with 5 roosters and 16 hens. The 5 roosters were WAY too many to deal with and we ended up with serious injuries on our hens. We *cough* took away *cough* the roosters we did not want, and kept one sweet boy. He is gentle with the girls, and loves us too. I would recommend watching the two that you have and deciding which rooster you would like to keep for your flock - the personality of your rooster will ultimately affect the behavior of the flock as well!
Thanks for the reply ChikininThePines. We were hoping everyone would get along together but our alpha cockeral matured so early and can only think of one thing. I'm afraid he's now taught the other boy some bad manners. We're attached to both but the hens must come first. I think we'll separate them from the girls and see what happens. We live on 24 acres with a barn, so there's plenty of room to free range. I'm glad to hear your situation worked out so well with your sweet boy.

T
Cockerels can take a while to learn their manners. These actions are usual for young males. The girls are young and not ready for so much male attention.

2 cockerels are probably too many for 8 pullets. I would plan on removing one anyway or adding 8 or more pullets or hens.

Space helps a lot. Do they free range? or have a large enclosure? The girls need to be able to get away from the boys attention.
Less stress you them and you!
Tank you for your reply Nanak. Everyone seems to be saying the same thing and it does feel like the right thing to do. The boys are out in the tractor now. I can see them from my window pecking away at the grass. It looks like the girls have finally come down off the roosts to get some food and peck around the run. We're on 24 acres with a barn and woods, so lots of room for everyone to free range in the afternoons the run isn't that big-10 x 12. And they have the tractor as well.

Back
Top Bottom