Is it too early?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I’m guessing it’s much too early to tell, but I am REALLY hoping for a hen. Little Beef is so so sweet, but gave off a cockerel feel until they became this social. They run up to me whenever I so much as open the brooder and like to some sit on my lap or my hand.
They are not a pure barred they’re either BSL or BCM mixed with barred, I’m guessing BSL due to the brown face on Waffle(Waffle and Beef look like twins named by my nephew) even as I’m typing this Beef just jumped out of the cage to come cuddle.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_7135.jpeg
    IMG_7135.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7136.jpeg
    IMG_7136.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7137.jpeg
    IMG_7137.jpeg
    393.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7138.jpeg
    IMG_7138.jpeg
    493.4 KB · Views: 1
I’m guessing it’s much too early to tell, but I am REALLY hoping for a hen. Little Beef is so so sweet, but gave off a cockerel feel until they became this social. They run up to me whenever I so much as open the brooder and like to some sit on my lap or my hand.
They are not a pure barred they’re either BSL or BCM mixed with barred, I’m guessing BSL due to the brown face on Waffle(Waffle and Beef look like twins named by my nephew) even as I’m typing this Beef just jumped out of the cage to come cuddle.
Any ideas?
So far, looks like a pullet. Behavior is chick specific, breed specific, so not necessarily an indicator.
However, if the comb gets larger than the others, and pinkens or reddens up, likely a cockerel. Post another pic each week or two.

Here an update on Beef (the one with less brown on her(?) face in the back)
I’ve noticed her(?) and Muffin fight a bit, never too badly just hopping at each other which is very reasonable for Muffin based off her mom(very sassy fighty hen) and I still have no clue who Beefs mom is, but I’m hoping that’s not a sign that one or both are cockerels they’re two I planned on keeping…

Attachments

• IMG_7337.jpeg
    IMG_7337.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom