Is it worth it...?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I was wondering if its even worth it to do 'licensing' for chickens and ducks with your local town?

How do you even know they won't suddenly 'notice you' after you apply? Does it make more trouble than its worth to apply with them? Or is it better to not do it?

Technically most of my birds are ducks. (I don't have quail yet.)

But it doesn't make much sense for quail especially because most chicken ordinances say you can only have 5 or 6...but with quail, you can't even support your dinner table with only 6 quail. And ducks don't even get mentioned in city ordinances! (I'm not sure how they would be viewed.) And how do they view ducks typically with city ordinance stuff?

And is there a kennel version of licensing allowed for some places? With dogs they sometimes do 'kennel licenses' for people who have more than the normal law will technically allow.

When I looked at the wording for the ordinance for my town it looks pretty stiffling. I would technically qualify for it I think, in terms of property square feet and sheltering. But you never know how they will look at things. For example, my brother has car parts in the back yard (that I have no control over, and he's rebellious so you can't just ask him to clean up. That makes him more mad and do it more.) Technically its possible someone might see my (jerk) brother's car parts in the yard and decline it off things I can't control.

(Technically I have partitions and fencing that make it so my birds can't get cut up or go near his auto parts mess. But its another evidence of that saying, and why they say 'you can't pick your family'.)

And when thinking about doing the licensing I have no idea how aggressive they are in turning stuff down. Do places typically turn anyone down they possibly can? Or do they try to allow people, to get the money?

I just don't know if they are even fair about it.

And I don't like the idea that some bureaucrat gets to determine how self sufficient you are, while he lives above his means.

And isn't the point of it, being, 'as long as your animals aren't noisy or bothering others its fine'?

I find only 5 or 6 birds (most cities quote this amount) to be quite strict and tight. Its hard to do much with such a small figure, when I want to test out and try out more than one type of breed.

What do you guys think about this?

Last edited:
Hi Nao, where are you located? I take it you're in a town that requires licensing of chickens. I think there are many of us who skirt the rules, but if it were me I'd get a license first. Then add the other foul later. What are the odds you would be in trouble for ducks or quail? And if you are, it's a perfect opportunity to be a part of your government and communicate changes that need to be made to the ordinance.
What is the purpose of licensing? They want to control noise/smell/clutter for the other people. I think if you keep a neat, clean, quiet (as well as you can) setup you should be fine. Start with excellent plans and go for it.

Hi Nao, where are you located? I take it you're in a town that requires licensing of chickens. I think there are many of us who skirt the rules, but if it were me I'd get a license first. Then add the other foul later. What are the odds you would be in trouble for ducks or quail? And if you are, it's a perfect opportunity to be a part of your government and communicate changes that need to be made to the ordinance.
What is the purpose of licensing? They want to control noise/smell/clutter for the other people. I think if you keep a neat, clean, quiet (as well as you can) setup you should be fine. Start with excellent plans and go for it.

I'm in Utah, Utah County. Yeah I forgot to mention I'm in the city limits.

I don't think I'd be in trouble?

It seems like almost nobody notices the ducks. A few have, but some also were surprised because they were right next to the house and didn't see them. And the ones who have noticed only noticed after 5 months, (and no complaints).

But you never know.

Like I have this one brother who makes it a point to mess with my stuff every time he comes over. Like he needed an extension cord to charge his battery. And we had 3 extension cords available, he happens to take the one I was using (which was mine) that's powering my hydroponics tank pump. And he also dumped and took away and threw out about $300 dollars worth of my duck feed the time before that, claiming he put it on the lawn and it was just picked up by someone.

It seems like sometimes its better to just not have anyone know you are alive you know?

(On the duck feed, I know he won't pay for it. And because he has cute kids he ended up having my parents defend him instead of just paying for the damage.)

Well I didn't mean to rant but it seems like sometimes dealing with people feels like a crap shoot.

Ducks can be pretty noisy.

I would go with 5 or 6 hens on the permit. (no roosters)

If I wanted to add something on the "down low," that would be a quail pen. Much quieter than ducks.

And set boundaries with the brother and his car parts.

Back
Top Bottom