Is my chicken Sick? Laid an egg while I was picking her up.

Mouthwash

Chirping
May 20, 2023
Chicago IL
My 4 month old RIR seemed slower and lethargic. She would eat what I offered and drank some water but she wasn't as veracious as usual she's usually a pig. She pooped and it was a little bit mucusy and white. I went to pick her up and she clucked, flapped and dropped an egg with a very soft shell. It it possible she is sick or is she just feeling weird about laying eggs or what. She's been laying for about a week now.

Watch her to see if she goes back to normal within the hour. For now, I would encourage her to be out in the sun if possible. At this age, that could be all because she had to lay an egg, and the soft shell is common amongst new layers.

Watch her to see if she goes back to normal within the hour. For now, I would encourage her to be out in the sun if possible. At this age, that could be all because she had to lay an egg, and the soft shell is common amongst new layers.
It's already dark her now she went in coop with the other chickens and is roosting for the night

Check on her in the AM. Mine looked bad one day, laid a soft-shelled egg, then went back to feeling fine. Give us an update if you can or need.

Check on her in the AM. Mine looked bad one day, laid a soft-shelled egg, then went back to feeling fine. Give us an update if you can or need.
All is well today she seems 95% better if not 100%. I hate to even admit this but I think I caused it. I fed my girls beans straight out of the pod on Tuesday forgetting completely it's poisonous to even people. Of course since she is a hog she probably ate about 7 raw beans. I'm so glad theyre okay and I'll take this as a learning experience to continue being cautious about introducing new foods.

All is well today she seems 95% better if not 100%. I hate to even admit this but I think I caused it. I fed my girls beans straight out of the pod on Tuesday forgetting completely it's poisonous to even people. Of course since she is a hog she probably ate about 7 raw beans. I'm so glad theyre okay and I'll take this as a learning experience to continue being cautious about introducing new foods.
Could be that, but it will also happen every now and again without provocation.

That didn't hurt her so I wouldn't worry about it. It takes a lot of beans to cause issues.

Back
Top Bottom