Is my hen broody?

Pics
Yep.
Yep....you'll have to watch them, make sure they get back into coop.
How steep is ramp to the outside?...I quickly scanned thru thread and didn't see any exterior pics of coop and run.
Thanks for the reply aart. Here is a pic of the ramp.

Attachments

• D5DF644F-B9BD-42D6-8829-13F0743147F3.jpeg
    D5DF644F-B9BD-42D6-8829-13F0743147F3.jpeg
    918.2 KB · Views: 3
Oooo loooong ramp...well cleated tho.
Might want to put a shelter for them down in the run,
something like a portable nest that will fit hen and all chicks.
Will give chicks a place to hide and shelter if they don't make it back up into coop.
I have a story about that...no time to type it out now, but had to carry nest, hen and chicks back up to coop.

Oooo loooong ramp...well cleated tho.
Might want to put a shelter for them down in the run,
something like a portable nest that will fit hen and all chicks.
Will give chicks a place to hide and shelter if they don't make it back up into coop.
I have a story about that...no time to type it out now, but had to carry nest, hen and chicks back up to coop.
Yes it is a loooooong ramp lol! Great suggestion to give them a nesting cave in the coop. I had an unused and enclosed cat litter box that will work perfectly. Also put food and water nearby. Once I had it all set up, I removed a couple sections of the barrier. Their first mingle was all in all a great success!! My other hen did a little picking on mama hen, but really nothing to be concerned about....I’m sure they have to reacquaint themselves aka re establish pecking order...wasn’t anything serious by any means. Neither the hen or the rooster demonstrated any animosity towards the chicks. I was actually pleasantly surprised! Mama hen went down the ramp a few times, but it seemed like she was chasing her chicks away from the pop door and didn’t want them to go out just yet. So they all stayed inside and the others just came for visits:). I limited it to an hour of mingling today (all I had time for to stick around and monitor the situation) and plan on giving them longer and longer mingle sessions as the days go on. Thanks aart for you’re input and suggestions:):)

Their first mingle was all in all a great success!! My other hen did a little picking on mama hen, but really nothing to be concerned about....I’m sure they have to reacquaint themselves aka re establish pecking order...wasn’t anything serious by any means.
Sounds like it went great!
Yes, broody has to re-establish place in pecking order.

Great suggestion to give them a nesting cave in the coop. I had an unused and enclosed cat litter box that will work perfectly.
I meant to put it out in the run, they already have a 'safe space' in the coop.
Covered cat litter box is perfect....is it easy to pick up if necessary?
Good she kept them in the coop.

The story I have was that she took them all outside but did not bring them all back in.
She was all tucked into floor nest in the coop with half the chicks, and the other half were outside cheeping like mad. SMH. I tried tossing her outside but she just ran back up into coop. I tried catching the chicks and they promptly ran thru the 2x4 run walls(before I added HC to deter this). I finally covered the entrance hole on the floor nest, with her and half the chicks, and carried the whole thing out into the run...soon all the chicks were in nest with mama so I covered hole again and carried the whole thing back inside coop. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: but it was funny later :gig
She kept them inside for the next couple days, then apparently taught them to use the ramp as it never happened again. I might have added the 'training' ramp.

upload_2019-2-25_18-33-37.png

Sounds like it went great!
Yes, broody has to re-establish place in pecking order.

I meant to put it out in the run, they already have a 'safe space' in the coop.
Covered cat litter box is perfect....is it easy to pick up if necessary?
Good she kept them in the coop.

The story I have was that she took them all outside but did not bring them all back in.
She was all tucked into floor nest in the coop with half the chicks, and the other half were outside cheeping like mad. SMH. I tried tossing her outside but she just ran back up into coop. I tried catching the chicks and they promptly ran thru the 2x4 run walls(before I added HC to deter this). I finally covered the entrance hole on the floor nest, with her and half the chicks, and carried the whole thing out into the run...soon all the chicks were in nest with mama so I covered hole again and carried the whole thing back inside coop. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: but it was funny later :gig
She kept them inside for the next couple days, then apparently taught them to use the ramp as it never happened again. I might have added the 'training' ramp.

View attachment 1684290
Hahaha that’s hilarious!!! Though I’m sure it wasn’t at the time lol! I can totally see how these hen mamas are forgetful though...which is partly the reason I limited them to the hour because she just seemed like she was having too good a time with her freedom and seemed like she completely forgot about keeping them warm. I just wasn’t sure when she’d sit to let them cuddle and the poor little things just looked sleepy and none of them knew what to do about it! Oh...about the catblittler box/nesting box....I knew you meant out in the run, which is where I put it. I also created a escape place for them on the inside as well. Just put cardboard over one of the unused nesting boxes inside and cut a hole only big enough for the littles. Yes, it couldn’t have gone better :):). Thanks for th story!!!

Back
Top Bottom