Is my pullet broody or having eggs stuck inside?

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
I have a 23 week old Light Sussex pullet who free range and started laying 3 weeks ago.
She's laid soft shelled eggs twice, two at a time, and tend to lay paler and thinner shelled eggs than other pullets.
From two days ago she insists on staying in the nesting box at night and also stays in there most of the day. (There's enough roosting space for everyone higher than the box and she's not the bottom of the pecking order)
Before, even though she stayed in the nesting box longer than others, she was active after laying.
Now I hardly see her outside of the box.
She laid two eggs yesterday and today by 1pm I don't know if she laid or not. She doesn't let me touch her. She shrieks and tries to bite me.
Her pupils keep contacting and dilating.
I fed her some egg in the box but she just ate only a half. Normally she would've gulfed down the whole thing.

Is she having a problem or being broody?
She didn't poop in the box for last two nights.
I've read a pullet can go broody too.
How can I tell whether she needs my help or not?

Last edited:
Non expert, but I've had broodies before. Does she stay sitting on the eggs/nest when she screams at you? Does she puff up at all? Here's a video, but watch a few more on broodies to see if this matches her behavior:

I'm no expert on egg/reproductive issues but usually their posture is off, something like straining, lowered tail and bottom, malaise. You'll get much better advice on this angle soon from one of the experts though!

Non expert, but I've had broodies before. Does she stay sitting on the eggs/nest when she screams at you? Does she puff up at all? Here's a video, but watch a few more on broodies to see if this matches her behavior:

I'm no expert on egg/reproductive issues but usually their posture is off, something like straining, lowered tail and bottom, malaise. You'll get much better advice on this angle soon from one of the experts though!
Thank you for your comment.
Yes, she puffs up big time and screams when anybody comes near. Her posture has been off lately too. But she got better and walked faster after she laid eggs so I though she was having problems with laying. I'll keep watching her walk if I can.

Back
Top Bottom