Is my quail chick okay??

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
So, my Coturnix quail egg is on day 16, all was well just before lockdown, growing really well, humidity is now just over 65%, temperature 37.5.
I thought I heard a faint chirp from the egg yesterday, but it has been quiet today, no sign of rocking or externally pipping. This is my first time hatching so I'm a little worried! If I heard a chirp yesterday, then its been 24 hours since she internally pipped, but now I'm doubting that it was her at all! I'm getting increasingly worried. I know its a little early for a hatch, but if she has internally pipped, how long will she be okay without breaking the shell??
Any advice would be so appreciated!

If there's no pip, you can put the egg in a bowl of water and see if it moves just the slightest bit. If it does, I would give the chick 6 more hours or so and then break into it. If it doesn't move, I would break into it. To break into it, take like the blunt end of a butter knife or something along those lines and gently bust the shell. Try not to break the membrane and just peel of the shell to the point where you can see if it's breathing or not. If it appears to be breathing, let it be for two hours or so and see if it gets through the membrane. If it's not breathing, go ahead and "hatch" it just to be sure. Good luck and keep me updated!!

If there's no pip, you can put the egg in a bowl of water and see if it moves just the slightest bit. If it does, I would give the chick 6 more hours or so and then break into it. If it doesn't move, I would break into it. To break into it, take like the blunt end of a butter knife or something along those lines and gently bust the shell. Try not to break the membrane and just peel of the shell to the point where you can see if it's breathing or not. If it appears to be breathing, let it be for two hours or so and see if it gets through the membrane. If it's not breathing, go ahead and "hatch" it just to be sure. Good luck and keep me updated!!
Are you sure? Just because it's day 16 and I know thats early for quails, I wasn't even expecting her until day 18, I'm hesitant because now I'm doubting if I heard it chirp! If you're sure, do you think I could try candling and looking for the internal pip instead of float testing? Just as I don't really have any thermometer that I can submerge in water to test the temp, and I've heard it should be pretty close to the incubation temp

Are you sure? Just because it's day 16 and I know thats early for quails, I wasn't even expecting her until day 18, I'm hesitant because now I'm doubting if I heard it chirp! If you're sure, do you think I could try candling and looking for the internal pip instead of float testing? Just as I don't really have any thermometer that I can submerge in water to test the temp, and I've heard it should be pretty close to the incubation temp
Oh I'm sorry I haven't hatched quail and I thought that 16 was past due date... I think I'm thinking button quail, so sorry! Yes totally candle! If theirs still veins, the chick should be alive.

Oh I'm sorry I haven't hatched quail and I thought that 16 was past due date... I think I'm thinking button quail, so sorry! Yes totally candle! If theirs still veins, the chick should be alive.
That's okay! I may try and candle in a little bit so I can see if she has internally pipped, I'm just worried how long they can stay in an egg with no pips after taking their first breath, IF she even has! Goodness hatching for the first time is tense! :barnie

That's okay! I may try and candle in a little bit so I can see if she has internally pipped, I'm just worried how long they can stay in an egg with no pips after taking their first breath, IF she even has! Goodness hatching for the first time is tense! :barnie
Your gonna loose some its ok. My first time hatching was this year as well... Yeesh that was tricky 🤣🤣 I used a broody hen but she was new to it and I was new to it. There were many minor complications but I kept one of the chicks and he is the King of my coop, Lord Octavious... @PippinTheChicken drew a picture of him for me...
Screenshot_20211114-112502.png

Your gonna loose some its ok. My first time hatching was this year as well... Yeesh that was tricky 🤣🤣 I used a broody hen but she was new to it and I was new to it. There were many minor complications but I kept one of the chicks and he is the King of my coop, Lord Octavious... @PippinTheChicken drew a picture of him for me...View attachment 2898237
aww that picture is so cute, love the name too 😁🤣

Back
Top Bottom